cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order/sorting of folders and files in our subfolders changed

Order/sorting of folders and files in our subfolders changed

AnneKC9YL
Explorer | Level 3

I compile/update a Dropbox table of contents for a club I belong to.  Subfolders and files used to be co-mingled together in alpha order within the main folders.  Now the folders are listed first (in alpha), then the documents below them (also in alpha).....the folks who have admin rights say that nothing changed.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I'm afraid there's no way to achieve that @AnneKC9YL, since folders usually appear either on top or the bottom depending on the way your content is sorted. 

If you need something else, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help every step of the way. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @AnneKC9YL - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify if you're all part of the same Dropbox team account or if you're using individual accounts instead?

Are you referring to a specific shared folder and how the files are sorted there or something else?

If you could send us a screenshot (omitting any personal information), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

AnneKC9YL
Explorer | Level 3

there are 3 folks who have 'global' access.  I am not one of them.The rest of us have view only access - no download capabilities either.  

I believe one of them changed the view/sort.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @AnneKC9YL, if you have view-only access to the folders, there's not much you can do on your end.

But someone with edit permissions, can follow the steps here, to change how files/folders are sorted.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

AnneKC9YL
Explorer | Level 3

I don't think this quite answers my question. I do not have admin access, but I am in contact with those who do....They claim nothing has changed, but clearly it has.....(please see attached below) --- the original 'table of contents' with the heading in red shows ALL items in the folder are in alpha order, (sub)folders intermingled with  docs.  The other shows what we see now when I open a dropbox folder, the subfolders are all at the top, with the individual docs below that.  I have checked with others in the club, and they see the same thing.  I assume this is the default view.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Dropbox dropbox view.gifDropbox Index.gif

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @AnneKC9YL, thanks for the info! 

The default way is the one you sent our way, with the folders either on top or at the bottom depending on how you sort the content. 

Not sure why the folders were mingled with the files in the first place to be honest. How long ago were you able to see the folders and files mixed and sorted together? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

AnneKC9YL
Explorer | Level 3

a month ago....June 6 to be exact

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @AnneKC9YL, thanks for the info! 

Keep in mind, that seeing folders mixed with files isn't something I've witnessed on my end.

You also sent a second screenshot, but keep in mind that I don't believe this was taken from Dropbox, right? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

AnneKC9YL
Explorer | Level 3

the second screenshot (with the Red heading) is a word doc/pdf that I compose, and that gets posted to Dropbox.  For my convenience, I CAPITALIZE the (sub)folders because again, it USED to be that folders and files were intermingled in alpha order. Everyone swears that the way it is now is the way it's always been, but I've been typing up the index for several years, and this is the first time that what I see doesn't match my index.  And I never had anyone tell me that my index didn't match the view on dropbox.  I am stymied.  Is there someway that I could have changed MY view on this end.  Windows 10 if that makes a difference.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I'm afraid there's no way to achieve that @AnneKC9YL, since folders usually appear either on top or the bottom depending on the way your content is sorted. 

If you need something else, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help every step of the way. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    AnneKC9YL Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?