cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox is copying instead of just moving my files

Moving files out of Dropbox now defaults to the 'copy' function

Questions13
Explorer | Level 4

Starting sometime this week, whenever I try to move a file out of my Dropbox to another location on the same drive, it will default to 'copy' and leave the original still in Dropbox. This duplication now requires that I manually delete the file from my Dropbox if I want to complete the action of relocating a file.

However, if I drag a file into my Dropbox from anywhere on the same drive, it will behave normally and 'move' the file without duplication. Moving files within folders in Dropbox also retains the default 'move' function.

What is causing this bizarre 'copy' behavior and how do I get rid of it? I want the default drag behavior, within the same drive, to be 'move'.

47 Replies 47

Rich
Super User II

@Yuikol wrote:

... when I went to move a file out of dropbox onto my desktop it would remove it from my dropbox. ... Today ... dragging a file onto my desktop just copied it.

This process is controlled by your operating system; not Dropbox. On your computer, Dropbox is just a folder like any other, and behaves as any other folder.

Yuikol
Experienced | Level 12

Downloads folder, documents folder, etc. are acting correctly. They move the file, not copy it. Only Dropbox is acting differently now. I'm not finding any settings related to this when I look in the Windows Setting app or in the file explorer options. 

Just seeing this now. I can "move" a file into Dropbox without copying it, but taking it out makes a copy.

Resting Book Face
Explorer | Level 4

I've noticed in the past week that whenever I move a file into or out of Dropbox, it leaves a copy on my computer or in Dropbox. It used to just move the file, not copy it. I have to manually remove the copied file so that I don't have to worry about version control. Anyone else having this issue and/or know how to turn it off?

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

I wanted to let everyone know that we are still actively investigating. I have no news at the moment, but we're still looking into it, and I'll provide an update here when I have more information to share!

Thanks,

Ben

benv
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue.  Moving from desktop to other folders on the same drive results in a copy.  Original file remains on the desktop.

Michael S.189
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same for me. Windows 11 23H2, Dropbox 205.4.5765

jstrmac
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Status update on this?  Dropbox has to realize this is a real issue by now???

Kenzoll
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, same issue and it has been happening recently. It makes a whole process really inconvenient. I open Dropbox folder (via app) on my laptop and drag files to the desktop folder - it makes copies and saves originals in Dropbox Camera Uploads. Windows 11 Home.  THANK YOU!

OSHBOY
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Any update on this? - It is such a pain!

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this. This change in behavior was the result of a change by Microsoft. Dragging a folder out of a root sync folder now defaults to the copy function on Windows 11. This change is not limited to Dropbox, but any root sync folder.

As a workaround, shift+click and drag will allow the expected cut + paste or "move folder" functionality.

Regards,

Ben

Need more support?