cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many files from a specific folder have gone missing.

Many files from a specific folder have gone missing.

gerry_51
Explorer | Level 3

I've recently stumbled on the fact that I've lost literally hundreds of genealogical files that I'd spent vast amounts of time manually creating circa 2000-2010.  I can't say exactly when the loss occurred but it must have been some time in the last 12 months, as I generally access those files at least every few months.  The files were contained in numerous subfolders beneath a folder called "Relatives".  That folder, along with a couple of dozen peer folders, was stored on my C drive and manually (drag and drop) backed up to Dropbox.   

Two really strange things about this loss: (a) The entire folder structure below "Relatives" is still present in each location (C drive and Dropbox), just that none of the numerous subfolders contains any files; and (b) "Relatives" is the only folder among my top-level folders to have suffered this fate. 

I can't think of what I could have done to cause this to happen.  I can vaguely imagine accidentally deleting the entire "Relatives" folder in one location and propagating that error to the other location but I can't imagine deleting just its files and retaining all its subfolders, which would be an arduous manual process anyway.  

Can anyone think of what I could have done to cause this to happen (presumably some months before I realized I'd done it) and could it have had anything to do with the way I back up to Dropbox?     

2 Replies 2

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gerry_51, and thanks for posting this here on the forum. 

Have you taken a look at your Events page to see what has happened during the last few months?

It may be a long shot from what you’ve mentioned, but do you see any of your missing files in the Deleted files section? 

Finally, is it possible you accidentally dragged these files outside of your local Dropbox folder? If yes, they’d be removed from your Dropbox app and your account online indeed.

Let me know, and we’ll go from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gerry_51
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry for the delay.  Searching in Events I wasn't able to find any specific files I'd lost.  Just to repeat, no folders were deleted.  The entire folder tree below the folder in question ("Relatives") was still there, just that none of the folders contained any files.  I can't imagine how anything like that could have happened, not even accidentally.  (I've since deleted that folder and all its subfolders from Dropbox.)  Thank you for telling me about Events anyway.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gerry_51 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?