cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Keyboard does not appear

Keyboard does not appear

QueenMaud19
Helpful | Level 5

I’ve tried over and over again, but no matter HOW I open the file I cannot edit because I can’t get the keyboard to appear so, obviously, I can’t type or edit. I’m working on my iPad (I do not have this problem on my lapto, but I need to work on the iPad). I’ve tried opening the doc every way I can think of (through the Dropbox app on the iPad, and signing into my account online), but the keyboard will NOT appear. 
I am not in the ‘read only’ format.

I can’t work out how to say’edit’ either, in case that would make the keyboard appear.

catherine

15 Replies 15

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @QueenMaud19, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

What type of file are you trying to edit? Are you trying to edit the file directly in the Dropbox mobile app, or via another app?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

QueenMaud19
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

I’m trying to edit the file directly in the mobile app.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

What type of file are you trying to edit?

A screenshot showing how you're trying to do this would help greatly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

QueenMaud19
Helpful | Level 5

I am trying to edit a Microsoft word document. I go to the mobile Dropbox app, then I open the doc in Microsoft Word

QueenMaud19
Helpful | Level 5

Please answer my question and help me solve the problem! I don't know how to take a screenshot, so I can't provide one. I really need to work out how to edit on Dropbox (this problem only started next week).

HOW CAN I GET THE KEYBOARD TO POP UP??????

Catherine

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @QueenMaud19, sorry to jump in here! 

Can you clarify the version of your OS, along with the Dropbox version that you have installed on your iPad? 

Do you notice this behavior only with a particular file, or all of your Word content? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

QueenMaud19
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Megan,

This is happening with EVERY document I try to edit.

By the OS, I think you mean the Operating System of the laptop on which I generate the Word docs that I'm then trying to edit on the ipad (?). It's a HP laptop Windows 10. I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by the version of Dropbox on my ipad. I just know that I installed the Dropbox app on my ipad (I have also tried signing into my Dropbox account on the internet, but the same thing happens--I can't edit because I can't make the keyboard appear),

Catherine

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi Catherine, this sounds odd, so I'd love to have a visual of what you see on your end, please.

You can find instructions on how to take a screenshot here. Once you do that, you can click the camera-like icon when trying to respond back to us, and attach your screenshot. 

If this doesn't work, please request the web version of our Community on your browser. 

Lastly, as for the iPad's version, you should be able to find this when accessing your Account tab in our mobile app, and clicking the gear icon on the top right. If you scroll, that should give you the version of the Dropbox app there. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

QueenMaud19
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I posted a question a week ago and didn't get any suggestions, so I'm STILL COMPLETELY STUCK and CAN'T EDIT.

Please, someone give me a response so I can start editing in Dropbox again (since there is no phone support)!

When I try to edit a doc, I can't, because the Keyboard does not appear. I am working on my ipad in the Dropbox app and I opened the doc in Word. I see that under 'file' at top right, it says 'read only'. If that's the problem, how do I change to 'edit' mode? (The words in the ribbon at the top are faint too)

This problem is affecting ALL my docs.

Thanks,

Kate

Need more support?