cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep seeing conflicted copies for my audio files, after using a third-party software.

I keep seeing conflicted copies for my audio files, after using a third-party software.

JoelBille
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

Recently I've been getting problems with duplicate files when I export audio files from my software directly into a Dropbox folder . One of them is labled "conflicted copy", (I think that's the english term, I've got dropbox in swedish where it says "konfliktkopia"). The one that has the original file name only is always incomplete, the end of the audio file is cut.

I've read that "conflicted copy" is something that happens when multiple users are editing the same file. However, I'm the single user on the account and I'm pretty sure I haven't been hacked by someone who consistently exports my audio files the same minute I am. Something seems to happen when I export the files (and thus add them to Dropbox). Like Dropbox thinks it's a new file, while it's still being rendered, and therefore thinks it's a conflict?

I've been using dropbox for years and never had this before. Any ideas on how to solve it?

I'm using a mac with Ventura 13.6.4.

I also have dropbox installed on an iPhone, if that might be causing this somehow.

2 Replies 2

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on our Community today, @JoelBille! Hope you’re doing well. 

When saying that the original file is still incomplete, do you mean that the conflicted copy contains the latest updates you’ve made to the file when exporting it from the third-party app? 

About the iPhone you also have linked to your Dropbox account, none of the audio files are open there while you edit them on your computer, correct? 

Finally, can you quit the Dropbox app on your Mac device and reproduce the issue again? Do you still see conflicted copies produced then?

Let me know when you have more info.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JoelBille
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy!

Yes, the conflicted copy is the "correct" and complete one. I've made no changes between the two versions. I don't know exactly when they appear, I can make some more tests to see when it actually happens. I think it is while the file is still being rendered.

And no, not editing anything on the phone, no technically possible way to do it. I just use the phone app to view and share.

I'll try quitting the app and see what happens, I'll be back with more info.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JoelBille Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?