cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My file vanished

I have an Excel file that I worked on for hours and it's just gone.

Michelle50
New member | Level 2

I have an Excel file that I worked on for hours and it's just gone,  no where to be found. I have tried everything that has been suggested. It's not in the deleted files or recycle bin. I went to Events and there is no record of me ever adding it to Dropbox. However, the file I downloaded minutes before it was there and noted I had edited that one. I am just baffled as to how it is just gone. 

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II

How did you access and open it? Where was it from?

Talk us through it from start to finish. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Michelle50
New member | Level 2

The report is from our business report list and I download it every month as csv but then save it to DB in xlsx format.

Mark
Super User II

So if you downloaded it where did you download the file to? go back there and check for it - it should still be there

File -> Open on Excel may also work

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Michelle50
New member | Level 2

I downloaded it to Excel but it's not even in my recent files there either. So bizarre.

Rich
Super User II

@Michelle50 wrote:

I downloaded it to Excel but it's not even in my recent files there either.

You don't download to an application. You download a file to a location on your computer, and then open the file in an application. Even if you just say Open during the download, the file is still saved somewhere on your local drive first. Check your usual downloads location, as well as whatever your Temp folder is.

Michelle50
New member | Level 2

I did find that but it's just the csv without all the changes I made.

Rich
Super User II

@Michelle50 wrote:

I did find that but it's just the csv without all the changes I made.

Then most likely those changes weren't saved. If they had been, there would be an XLSX file saved somewhere on your local drive. If you search your entire drive for that filename and you don't find it, then the file wasn't saved. Also, try this.

Michelle50
New member | Level 2

Thank you for this additional suggestion but it wasn't in the unsaved list either. It's ok, I'll just start over. Thank you so much for your time and ideas. Must just be a fluke type thing.

Need more support?