cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to quickly organize thousands of photos and videos?

How to quickly organize thousands of photos and videos?

Mary G.6
New member | Level 2

I've had a Dropbox account for about 10 years. I set it up to save important documents and some select photos and videos from my phone and then pretty much went hands-off, and I don't look at it much unless I need something.

Fast forward to today. It seems that my young adult kids and husband have been sending all their photos from their phones and computers (both mac and pc) to my Dropbox automatically. I have thousands upon thousands of photos and videos and college essays, etc. from at least 5 different people loading their stuff to my Dropbox. I don't mind since I am nowhere close to my 2T of space, but I would like to organize it so everyone can have their own file.  The problem is that there are thousands of items over probably 8 years. It would take me months to organize this manually.

Is there an app or AI feature that will do it for me? Maybe something that will "know" which computer/phone each file was uploaded from and then sort it into that person's file automatically? I want to do it for everything and then set it up going forward. Please explain like I am 5. Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Mary G.6, happy Monday! 

There are a couple of ways you can go on about it. I'm not sure which one might suit your needs the most, but I'll be happy to present you with some options here. 

The first thing that came to mind was our multi-organizing tool, that helps you arrange the content of your folders. You can see more about this here

The options presented there, weren't exactly like the ones you mentioned, but you might find one that is convenient for you. 

Another thing moving forward would be folder automations. Additionally, you can use multi-file organize to sort files in both automated and non-automated folders. The organization options you see for a folder may vary, depending on the files in your folders.

Having shared folders (provided that the other members also have a Dropbox account, and you're not sharing the same one) for each of your family members to upload their content into them would also work, or even using a Family Plan

There might be a third-party app that helps specifically when it comes to organizing folders, but I'll leave that part up to our Community-users to share with you.

If you have any questions on the info I provided above, don't hesitate to let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?