cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I arrange photos within a file

How do I arrange photos within a file

Debbie A.
New member | Level 1

I need to have the ability to move photos within a file for presentation....How do I move photos around?

5 Replies 5

Deep M.
New member | Level 1

Debbie,

Do you mean arrange them within a folder? What operating system are you using (Windows, Mac, etc?) Your question is hard to answer because it isn't very clear what you mean by a "file." I'm not sure this is something specific to Dropbox, but might be more dependent on your operating system and software you are using.

Debbie A.
New member | Level 1

Sorry, yes.....How do I arrange images within a folder? I send images to clients and I want them in a certain order when they view them. Thank you......

Deep M.
New member | Level 1

I'm guessing that your situation is you have photos stored in a folder and you want to share this folder through Dropbox so others get the photos too? As far as I know, the way photos are arranged in a folder on a computer is entirely dependent on settings in the machine's operating system, and is not at all dependent on Dropbox. For instance, on my Windows machine, I can change a view setting control to modify the photos in a folder to display with different data shown, and I can also change the thumbnail views to different sizes and such. The typical arrangement is alphabetical by photo name & number, but all of this is within my machine and has nothing to do with Dropbox. In your case, unless you are using particular photo software that allows arbitrary arranging and perhaps slideshows of photos, I don't think there is much you can do with respect to how other people see the photo arrangement you share with them. If the photos are embedded in a presentation file of some kind, then yes, you would have full control. If they are just in a computer's folder, then your customers' machines will dictate how they see your photos when they get synced over through Dropbox.

David M.68
New member | Level 1

I wish to move pkotos within a dropbox file to put them in a particular order even though they may have been taken on different days and whilst I can click on a photo and drag it I am not abble to drop it into the required position. Can anyone advise please

Kelley L.1
New member | Level 1

I had to rename the files. It took an extra step, but it worked.

For example, I added "01" to the beginning of the first file, "02" to the second, and so on. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kelley L.1 New member | Level 1
    David M.68 New member | Level 1
    Deep M. New member | Level 1
    Debbie A. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?