cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Dropbox files completely gone after disconnecting from joint account

Help! Dropbox files completely gone after disconnecting from joint account

H_F92
New member | Level 2

Hi, hoping someone can help. I recently linked my Dropbox to a client's account in order to more easily view/share files. I chose the option to merge my Dropbox with the client's, which meant that I was essentially using their Dropbox both to save off the files I was working on with them + other job-related or personal files, which the platform reassured me would be put into my own personal, private folders. I could see from the icon that these files which didn't relate to the client were visible to just me and no-one else (or at least assumed!!).

When I finished my work with that client, they deleted my account from their Dropbox in order to give it to someone else. I assumed that this would mean that I would revert to having my personal Dropbox account with the files I had not been sharing with the client. However, it appears to have deleted my entire personal account too! I can no longer access any DB file from my PC - from the desktop app, it was listing the account as '[Client]'s Dropbox', so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I also tried logging into my personal DB online but it said it had been deleted and that I'd have to re-register. When I did, it is basically a completely new account and none of my files are there. I also cannot restore files using any of the usual channnels.

Has anyone had this issue before? It seems like quite a fundamental flaw that the app offers the option to merge with another Dropbox account, but then deletes everything the moment you disconnect from it... help on how to resolve this would be much appreciated!!

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

Hi @H_F92 

Unfortunately your assumption at the very start was incorrect - when you merged into there Dropbox you did exactly that, you became part of the Business and they own your account. What you actually saw was your own folders, in their account, but not shared. 

You need to ask the business to restore it via https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/restore-deleted-users and then ask them to remove you from the Team NOT delete it. There is a very short time window where this can happen so you need to get them to do it quickly. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Pam Kenyon
New member | Level 2

Where are the files linked to that account that has been disconnected? I can see how to restore deleted user files, but there is no option to restore the disconnected user? Where are their personal files that were in the dropbox before they were disconnected? How do they access or how can i restore them so that they can copy them and remove them?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Pam Kenyon, if you want to restore a deleted member from the Dropbox Business team, if you're the team admin, and it's within 7 days of the deletion, you can follow these steps to recover their account.

Afterwards, you can convert their account to a personal account away from the team.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Pam Kenyon
New member | Level 2

The member isn't showing as deleted, they are showing as disconnected and so there is no option to restore. If the member was transferred to a personal account will there files all show there? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Pam Kenyon, sorry to jump in there! 

Keep in mind that disconnected members are those users that have had their Dropbox account converted from the Business to a personal account away from the team.

And yes, if you transferred their files to a different member, the content should be available there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ericweathersart
New member | Level 2

I came home to find my account is completely missing. 5+ years of files are gone and it's as if my account never existed.

It was a part of a business account which they had removed me from outside of my knowledge, but everything in my personal folder is gone. Again, like it never existed in the first place.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @ericweathersart 

If you were part of a business account they 'owned' everything in it and as such when they remove you they delete everything. 

The only way to fix that is ask the business admin to restore the account and then remove you from the business plan. However, that has to be done with 7 days or the data could be irreversibly lost. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    ericweathersart New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Pam Kenyon New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?