cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HELP MY FILES ARE MISSING!

HELP MY FILES ARE MISSING! How can I recover them?

yanit
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there, I missed a large amount of files in a few folders (photos and videos mostly) from my Dropbox. I have them synced to my Macbook. I didn't delete any of them and this morning they just disappeared. I checked the the "Events" page on Dropbox web, and there was no indication that I moved or deleted my files. There were not in trash either. Please help!

23 Replies 23

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @yanit, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Did the files disappear from the computer, or from the Dropbox site?

Are there any files on the deleted files page on the site?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

yanit
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, they disappeared from both the Dropbox website and from my computers. I have already synced my Dropbox app with the website, and have been using it without any problems for many years, until today 😞

Walter
Dropbox Staff

When is the last time you remember seeing them on our website @yanit?

Were they shared with you or were you the owner of the files by the way? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

yanit
Explorer | Level 4

I rarely checked the website, I used Dropbox mostly through the Dropbox app installed on my Macbook. The last time I saw these photos and videos were last week. I was the only owner of the folders/ files.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Were you experiencing any syncing issues back then perhaps @yanit?

If they had been uploaded to your Dropbox account, there should be a sign of them in your events page, that's why I'm asking.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

yanit
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter, I don't think so. I have seen Dropbox notifications about me exceeding the storage space that I have with my account, but there was never a notification/ indication that the files that I had in my folders would disappear because some of the new files were not synced. The folders that disappeared were from many years ago and they had been sitting there for at least 3-4 years.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @yanit 

Dropbox terms do state that they will delete files if you are over quota (https://help.dropbox.com/storage-space/over-quota). That would remove files from the Dropbox website but shouldn't remove locally. 

However, if they are not syncing to Dropbox as you are over quota they wont show at all on things like Events as they are not syncing. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

yanit
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark, thanks for the link. I didn't know that, thanks for the info. The page says "We'll notify you through multiple emails in advance. We’ll begin by deleting your most recent files to bring your account within the limit, working backward. " I did not receive any emails from Dropbox. The files that went missing were also old files from many years ago, not recent files. So it didn't make sense. Do you know how I can get the files back? What if I removed the new files that made me exceed my quota?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, @yanit. When visiting the Deleted files page online, did you adjust the filters, so that the results may include several days? Do you see something different then? 

If the files aren’t there, can you also use the search bar on www.dropbox.com to look for them?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?