cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files have reverted to an earlier version back in 2022.

Files have reverted to an earlier version back in 2022.

Peter278
Explorer | Level 3

I am using dropbox lite for s-mode.

All my files have reverted to an earlier versions of sometime in December 2022. I use the files every week and make additions monthly and I can now see my entries up to November 2022 only.

All my files created recently have disappeared completely, so it looks like I have gone back nearly a year in a time warp. 

There is nothing in my deleted files folder.

Please help.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Peter278, let's jump right into this! 

Would you mind checking your events page, to see what you'll find there?

The Events page at www.dropbox.com/events gives you an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes), as well as adding or removing shared folders. 

We want to see if there's any sign of deletion or even editing these particular files. If you see these files have been edited in 2023, that means that all the changes synced the way they should.

Keep me posted on the results!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Peter278
Explorer | Level 3
Nothing relevant in there. Last event was 1 October 2023 and I have used most of these files since then.
Upon investigating further the main file which I update monthly seems to have disappeared completely and the one I have with records to 11 months ago looks like a copy as when I try and open them, the two files point to two slightly different folders.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Peter278, when was the last time you saw these files online on the web?

Is it possible that you were syncing the changes to a different Dropbox account? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Peter278
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Megan
I last accessed these files just a few days ago. I only have one Dropbox account. I
I usually access them using Libre Office via their Recent Documents and this have never been an issue before, but today it has an error message for the more recent files that <file name & location> 'Does not exist'.
This is true for all files saved in the past several months. Earlier ones are still accessible.
Peter

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Peter278, the S Mode app doesn't store the files locally in a Dropbox folder. Due to this, how was Libre Office able to open the file if it wasn't stored locally? Is it possible that it was trying to open the file from the Dropbox cache folder, which is periodically deleted?

Do you remember the exact location it was previously, or are there any backups within that app? 

Have you ever noticed the updated version of the file on the Dropbox site directly?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Peter278 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?