cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

missing files

Files gone

Pardo1
New member | Level 2

Woke up this morning and all of my Drop Box Files and Folders are gone. Can you help me get them back?

54 Replies 54

ERD
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, all folders were shared ones. I do understand I can get those back by re-sharing. 

However, the problem is I lost non-shared files that weren't sitting in any folder. I tried using the search bar and nothing comes up. They are not in the deleted folder either. Everything completely disappeared. How do I get these files back? Is there something Dropbox can do on their end to restore them?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ERD - sorry to jump in, but do you see any signs of your missing files in the events page?

All the uploads, edits, and deletions are normally logged there so it should give you a hint.

When was the last time you remember seeing them on the website by the way? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ERD
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter, not sure if you saw my original post, but the Events page just says "You removed your access to the shared folder....". The folders were re-shared with me and I found the files I thought weren't in any folders in there. So everything appears to be accounted for, I hope. It looks like everyone else on the shared folders had issues as well including the owner by the way. Thank you for your help. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

No worries @ERD - I'm glad to hear you managed to sort this out in the end and thanks for keeping us in the loop too.

See you around the Community and take care!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

pscot1
New member | Level 2

10 years of files have gone missing and no help available. Amy ideas?

Thanks for any help

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@pscot1, please check my post here, and let me know if it helps. 

If you still can’t locate your files after that, please make sure you’re logged in to the correct Dropbox account.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

pscot1
New member | Level 2

The files in "events"only go back a week. I have only dropbox account from which hundreds of files are currently missing. They were not deleted by us and they are not in a "deleted" folder. They represent nearly 10 years of files which I've entrusted to dropbox and I need them restored as soon as possible. Thanks 

pscot1
New member | Level 2

Dear Dropbox,

Where are my hundreds of missing files? We did not delete them and they are not in "events" . None of the automated suggestions

have helped solve the problem and there is no "help" offered, no one to speak to, and no live chat. Years and years of our files which I've entrusted

to Dropbox have disappeared and there seems to be no company representative to bring my problem to. If any person, either a company representative 

or DB user can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @pscot1, what we want is to help you locate your files, or understand what has happened here. 

You mentioned that you were able to locate nothing in the events page. Is it possible that you're accessing a brand-new account? 

If this isn't the case, could it be that your account was previously deleted due to inactivity? In order to determine that, you'd need to let me know when was the last time you remember accessing your Dropbox account, and seeing your files there. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LynleyOram
New member | Level 2

Crucial folders are missing from my Dropbox. My laptop died last week, I went to Dropbox online to retrieve some vital documents and folders that were there before are no longer available.

Need more support?