cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File recovery

Files gone

Pardo1
New member | Level 2

Woke up this morning and all of my Drop Box Files and Folders are gone. Can you help me get them back?

54 Replies 54

Kuede
Helpful | Level 6

I have deleted 3261 files in my Dropbox. I am in extreme distress. I still have until October 30, 2023, to get them back. I am desperate. I can't find any entries or clues in "Deleted Files" or "Events".

What also surprises me is that I don't see any entry in Events that I have renewed my Plus plan.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Kuede, if files weren't in your events page prior to upgrading to a Dropbox Professional plan (which has a longer recovery period than Plus), then there wouldn't be older events appearing, since it isn't retroactive.

Upgrading to another plan would appear on your payments page instead of the events page.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kuede
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jay,

So far so good in "Plan" it shows that I am using a "BasicPlan although I paid the renewal amount for Plan Plus PHP6941.87 (USD119.88) with Credit Card on September 28th, 2023. Booking text: DROPBOX*[removed] but there is no entry on the “Payments Page”. Hope this information will help.

Kuede.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If there is no information on the payments page, then it means that the payment was made on another Dropbox account. 

Try using the card lookup tool to see which account the payment was associated with, as I can see my colleague assisted with here.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

TLC-HELP
New member | Level 2

Hello. 

I am missing MANY files in my DropBox account. They were NEVER deleted by me or the people I shared them with. I see nothing in "Deleted Files". I need these files ASAP...for business and personal purposes. I am extremely frustrated because the files seemed to disappear after I resolved a billing issue. PLEASE HELP ASAP! Thank you in advance.

Rich
Super User II

@TLC-HELP wrote:

I am missing MANY files in my DropBox account. They were NEVER deleted by me or the people I shared them with. I see nothing in "Deleted Files".

Do you see any history of the files on your Events page?

TLC-HELP
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the quick reply, Rich. 

I do not see an "Events" page in the menu at the left. 

Also, I was finally able to locate the files by logging completely out, closing the browser and logging back in with e-mail and password. Thank goodness!!!

Previously, I had logged out a few times, but signed back in using "Continue with..." and my e-mail address. This did not require me to input my password and kept taking me to a version of DropBox that had only a portion of my files available. After signing in with my e-mail and actual password, my account is now showing ALL of my files. Pretty scary for a moment there!

Rich
Super User II

@TLC-HELP wrote:

I do not see an "Events" page in the menu at the left.

For future reference, there is no link to the Events page in the menu. I included the link in my previous reply. I would suggest you bookmark it.

ERD
Explorer | Level 3

I am a Dropbox Basic user. So a couple hours after last using Dropbox (online via browser), I came back and my account was completely wiped clean!! All files and folders completely disappeared. My account is empty. There is nothing in the deleted files folder. The Events page says "You removed your access to the shared folder...." but I did no such thing. Even the files I had just sitting in my account in no folder are completely gone. 

Yes, the folders were shared folders and they could be reshared with me and I can get all that back I think, but the problem is those files I had in no folder. I need those back. Someone please help!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear about this, @ERD.

The "you removed your access" event might also mean that someone with edit access to the folder has removed you from it.

Were all your folders shared ones? If so, you'll need to contact another editor on the folder and ask them to add you back.

Did you also lose non-shared files? Have you used the search bar to search for them and see what kind of results you get?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?