cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Duplicated Files Cannot Be Renamed - Ventura 13.4.1

Duplicated Files Cannot Be Renamed - Ventura 13.4.1

2ndMile
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Since upgrading to Ventura I have noticed several weird bugs with DropBox. 

The most recent is that I can't rename a duplicated file. Pressing "Enter" gives the "error" chime. Right-clicking does not give the rename option (screenshot below). I can rename the file on dropbox.com and the change is reflected locally but this is time-consuming. This has happened for multiple files in different folders.

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 9.32.50 AM.png

38 Replies 38

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Laurence S.4! Do you mind sending us a screenshot of what you see on your end? More specifically, I’d like to have a visual of the entry icon that you mention, and the “Rename” option being greyed out.

Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Laurence S.4
Helpful | Level 5

I have just selected 'Gothic Revival.pptx', right clicked and selected 'Duplicate'. I then selected 'Gothic Revival copy.pptx' (as you see) and the File/Rename option is greyed out. The right click menu does not have the Rename option at all. I have also included the Get Info window so you can see READ & Write is permitted.image.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Laurence S.4 - sorry to jump in, but I just wanted to mention that I took a look at your original post and it seems that you're running a beta version of the desktop app.

Could you try the latest, stable version from this page directly and let us know if the issue persists? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Laurence S.4
Helpful | Level 5

OK, I installed the stable build and it now works fine. Just take my comments as feedback on the beta,

Thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Sure thing @Laurence S.4 - thanks for flagging! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

PeterAhlstrom
New member | Level 2

This same bug showed up on my Sonoma 14.4.1 machine only within the past two weeks. It was never a problem before. I am on the beta version v198.3.7576, and don't want to switch to the standard version since it stores the files differently. It's possible there was a regression in the beta code. I have been using the beta version since I got this computer in June 2023.

PeterAhlstrom
New member | Level 2

It may be relevant that this tends to happen with files that were email attachments, dragged from the macOS Mail message window straight into the specific Dropbox subfolder in the Finder. Today when I dragged a message like that, I couldn't rename it and I couldn't move it to another folder like my Downloads folder. (The cursor turned into the white :prohibited: symbol.) However, when I dragged it from Mail to my Downloads folder and THEN dragged it to the Dropbox subfolder, I could afterward rename it as usual.

PeterAhlstrom
New member | Level 2

Using xattr -lx on a file that has the problem shows this:
com.dropbox.attrs:
00000000 0A 12 0A 10 EC E4 27 C1 B3 FC AF 80 00 00 00 00 |......'.........|
00000010 00 02 3A 35 10 86 DD F6 83 08 |..:5......|
0000001A

If I copy that file using cp -X to the same folder, I get a file that does NOT have the problem, and it has this xattr:
com.dropbox.attrs:
00000000 0A 12 0A 10 EC E4 27 C1 B3 FC AF 80 00 00 00 00 |......'.........|
00000010 00 02 3A 36 10 BC FE D3 CB 01 |..:6......|
0000001A

As you can see, the hex bytes on the second line are different.

PeterAhlstrom
New member | Level 2

Well, I'm trying to edit my responses, but it's not working in Safari. I choose edit from the ... menu, and then nothing happens.

Anyway, looks like I was barking up the wrong tree. I copied a file and it had the problem. Then I copied the same file via cp -X on the command line, and it did not have the program. Both files had the same filename, and both files had the exact same data in com.dropbox.attrs. Yet one had the "can't edit the filename" problem, and the other didn't.

Checking the files via mdls, everything is the same except a couple lines. The file with no problem has "kMDItemIsUploading = 0" and the file with the problem is lacking that line.

Also, the no-problem file has these dates as today:

kMDItemContentCreationDate

kMDItemContentCreationDate_Ranking

kMDItemDateAdded

kMDItemFSCreationDate

kMDItemInterestingDate_Ranking

And it has these dates as the date of the original file it was copied from:

kMDItemContentModificationDate

kMDItemFSContentChangeDate

On the other hand, the file with the problem has these dates as today:

kMDItemContentCreationDate_Ranking

kMDItemDateAdded

And these dates as the date of the original file it was copied from:

kMDItemContentCreationDate

kMDItemContentModificationDate

kMDItemFSContentChangeDate

kMDItemFSCreationDate

kMDItemInterestingDate_Ranking

Other than those things, everything in mdls is the same.

Need more support?