cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Duplicated Files Cannot Be Renamed - Ventura 13.4.1

Duplicated Files Cannot Be Renamed - Ventura 13.4.1

2ndMile
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Since upgrading to Ventura I have noticed several weird bugs with DropBox. 

The most recent is that I can't rename a duplicated file. Pressing "Enter" gives the "error" chime. Right-clicking does not give the rename option (screenshot below). I can rename the file on dropbox.com and the change is reflected locally but this is time-consuming. This has happened for multiple files in different folders.

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 9.32.50 AM.png

38 Replies 38

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @2ndMile, sorry to jump in here.

Do you get the same behavior if you close the Dropbox app before duplicating a file?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

2ndMile
New member | Level 2

Hello Hannah... the more the merrier!

Yes, the same behavior exists if I close the Dropbox app before duplicating the file. 

A couple more odd behaviors:

This behavior only exists in folders "managed" by Dropbox with or without the Dropbox app running. For example, I duplicated a file within a Dropbox managed folder and the duplicate file exhibited the same behavior described previously. If I move the original file to the "Pictures" folder, which Dropbox does not manage, and then duplicate the file, I am able to rename as expected. I want to point out that when I drag and drop that file into the Pictures folder I am presented with a dialog to confirm that I am moving the file outside of Dropbox. I point this out because of the next odd behavior.

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 8.59.40 AM.png

(Restarting with original file and no duplicate) If I duplicate the original file inside of a Dropbox managed folder as before, I can't move that file by dragging and dropping. The cursor icon has a circle with a line through it. HOWEVER, if I Command+C the duplicated file and then Command+V into a folder that is NOT managed by Dropbox (Pictures folder), I am asked to enter my Admin password. If I click "Cancel", the file is still pasted but I can't rename the file as before. If I authenticate, the file is pasted and I CAN rename the file. 

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 9.03.22 AM.png 

IMHO, this is all pointing to a permissions issue between Dropbox and Ventura. Almost as if Dropbox is not letting me act as "Admin" within Dropbox folders.  This is further backed up by something I experienced early on. This is a fairly new computer (1 month old) and when I first received it, I installed Dropbox as one of the first programs. When I downloaded a DMG to install a program, I could not run it from the Downloads folder (managed by Dropbox). I had to run it from a non-Dropbox managed folder. 

Is there a way, possibly using Terminal, to check or reset the permissions on Dropbox managed folders?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I appreciate the additional info here, @2ndMile.

Can you check if Dropbox has full disk access on the computer? Perhaps that's the culprit here.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

raDB
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem, started on Ventura, is still present on Sonoma.  Very easy to replicate: copy a file that's already in dropbox and paste it anywhere else in Dropbox, or just use "duplicate" (which will create a copy in the same location).  The copy cannot be renamed.  Owner and permissions look exactly the same on both files.  Workaround is to paste it somewhere outside Dropbox, then drag it into whatever Dropbox folder you want it in.  Granting full disk access did not help.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @raDB, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you clarify the desktop app's status and version as shown in your menu bar at the moment and also let us know your Dropbox folder's location as shown in the app's preferences under the sync tab?

Can you please let us know if this persists when you close the Dropbox app completely?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

raDB
New member | Level 2

I'm not sure what you mean by status, but there are no red icons or anything on the Dropbox icon.  Version is 184.4.6543.  Folder is /Users/[username]/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox.

That's very strange--to test, I tried navigating directly to the the folder from Locations > Dropbox on the left pane of the Finder window and making and renaming copies worked fine.  Previously, I had been arriving there via Spotlight search with Cmd-Return to open the containing folder of the file--and that's when I would not be able to modify the names of copies.  And now, even that's working.

I'm not sure what's going on but it seems to be working fine now, suddenly (despite having had this problem for months).  I want to say the problem had something to do with the linked-nature of the new location (how the folder appears to be in my user folder despite actually living in Library/CloudStorage).  Maybe Spotlight "learned" the better location?  It's also possible the full disk access helped, even though I've since revoked it?  I can no longer replicate the problem so have no more info to give.  I'll come back if I can replicate it again and am happy to answer more questions.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @raDB, the full disk access most definitely helped, and it's also suggested when using our app. 

I'm glad everything works now, and I'd be happy to look more into this if it ever happens again in the future. 

Cheers!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

briansp
New member | Level 2

I'm having the *exact* same problem.  Dropbox v185.4.6054.  MacOS Sonoma 14.0.  I've had this problem before and notice it again with the recent Sonoma upgrade.

In my Dropbox-managed folder I have a file. I can rename it and all of the right-click Finder actions are available.  If I right-click on the file and click Duplicate, I get a new file called <oldfilename> copy.docx (or whatever).  The "copy" file only has a limited set of Finder actions shown, and Rename is not available.

I can rename the file via 'mv' command in Terminal but I shouldn't have to do this and it really interrupts my workflow.

I gave Dropbox.app full disk access and restarted Dropbox but it is still not permitting me to rename duplicated file that I duplicate from Finder.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @briansp, welcome to our Community! 

If you try to quit the desktop app, and then rename the duplicate, is that successful? 

Feel free to share some screenshots with us too. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

paulcartwright
Explorer | Level 4

I too am on Sonoma. Dropbox v187.3.5654 and have the same behaviour on renaming duplicated files that are within the Dropbox folder.  If I drag duplicate  the file to the desktop I can then rename the file as usual.

Curiously, if I duplicate a file (within Dropbox) and then attempt to drag it to my desktop I am not able to (the cursor changing to a 'no entry' symbol).

Need more support?