cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox audio transcription feature

Dropbox audio transcription feature

UgoCT
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have three questions to ask you:

1. I upload an audio file, I have Dropbox AI transcribe it into words, I see on the side that the text is divided in short paragraphs (I think breaking between different people talking), and then when I copy the text and past it into .Word, it pastes it into one big chunk of text. Is there a way to copy it and past it maintaining the paragraphs?

2. Also, if there a different way to produce a .Word or similar document out of the transcript without having to copy and paste it and thus run into the problem I encountered?

3. It seems to me that AI Dropbox is quite accurate in the transcription. Is there any way for me to improve the quality of the transcription besides recording the sound/interview in a quiet place and with a good recorder? I tried doing this with a good IPhone, but I can also record the interviews with a Zoom recorder (which quality should be better).

Thank you for any tip or answer!

UCT 

4 Replies 4

theRizzo_tHO
Explorer | Level 4

Not sure what a .Word file is.  
I don’t have a problem with copying and pasting maybe your font  settings are off or something.  
iPhones and iPads now have screen recorders  . Basically open screen recorder , open speak screen,  open your AI transcript  , and have Siri speak screen . Then edit in iMovie or or voice memo, or whatever you’ll figure it out

UgoCT
New member | Level 2

.Word document (by Microsoft aka Microsoft Word). I will try pasting the transcription somewhere else and maybe it will maintaining the short paragraphs breaking (which I assume they signal  pauses and/or different people speaking).

I also still wonder if there is a better program (whether it is free or not) that transforms audio files into words --by better I mean more accurate than DropBox AI which I find quite good).

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I have also asked the IT guy from where I work. When he answers, assuming he does, I will paste here his answer (to this second question).

Thank you

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @UgoCT,

Thanks for reaching out. 

We'll check the information for you and get back to you with the feedback. 

I appreciate your patience while this is being reviewed. 

JohnnyDogman
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi UCT,

Great questions! Here are some answers to your queries about Dropbox’s audio transcription feature:

1. Copying with Paragraphs:

• When you copy and paste text from the transcription, it may lose formatting. Instead, try using the "Download" option if available. Look for a button that allows you to download the transcript as a text file or another format. This might preserve the paragraph breaks better than copying directly.
  2. Exporting Transcripts:

• Check if Dropbox offers an export feature for transcripts. If the AI transcription tool allows, you might be able to download the transcript directly as a .docx or .txt file. This can save you from needing to copy and paste manually.
  3. Improving Transcription Quality:

• To enhance transcription accuracy, consider using the Zoom recorder for interviews, as it often captures clearer audio than a phone. Additionally:
      • Ensure the microphone is placed closer to the speakers.
      • Use a pop filter or windscreen if recording outdoors.
      • Avoid background noise as much as possible.
      • If your recording has multiple speakers, ensure they’re speaking clearly and at a moderate pace.

By following these tips, you should be able to improve your transcription experience and quality.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JohnnyDogman Collaborator | Level 8
    DBX_Pedro Community Manager
    UgoCT New member | Level 2
    theRizzo_tHO Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?