cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recovering deleted folders and files

Can I restore a file with Dropbox Rewind, if I upgrade my account?

Jill_Davies
New member | Level 2

My co-worker deleted lots of files and folders from our shared Dropbox.  We're both on Basic.  I have recovered many of them, but a crucial excel file is missing from one of the folders.

If I pay for an upgrade and Rewind, might I be able to get it back?  There's no sign of it anywhere.

thanks!

Jill

16 Replies 16

Rich
Super User II

@Jill_Davies wrote:

I have recovered many of them, but a crucial excel file is missing from one of the folders. ... There's no sign of it anywhere.

Have you checked your Events page for the file?

Jill_Davies
New member | Level 2

I have found it on the Events page but I can't see how to restore it from there, thanks for your reply

Rich
Super User II

@Jill_Davies wrote:

I have found it on the Events page but I can't see how to restore it from there, thanks for your reply

How long ago was it deleted?

Jill_Davies
New member | Level 2

I share a number of folders and files with my partner on a project we both look after.  His Dropbox has not been syncing for many months.  I encouraged him to delete some folders/files and he did that, but unfortunately deleted many that were essential.

I have recovered many of the folders from my own Dropbox account (basic), but they seem to include the old versions of the files - the ones that he had on his Dropbox, and not mine - and some are completely missing.

One particular file is a cash book, which I found in the Events listing yesterday, and clicked on it, but it was not an excel file.  That entry now seems to have disappeared from the Events listing.

Can anyone help here?

If I upgrade my account would that enable me to find the files? 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Jill_Davies - did you restore this file from your events page by any chance?

Have you taken a look at its original location to see if you can find it now?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jill_Davies
New member | Level 2

No I cannot find it anywhere, I'm afraid.  It's called CMP cash book.  There are others I would really like too, which were on my Dropbox, but never synced to my partner Chris [removed per the Dropbox Community Guidelines]'s

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Jill_Davies, do you perhaps see the file in your deleted files page, to restore it from there?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jill_Davies
New member | Level 2

I have restored everything I needed from the deleted files page but there were a number missing.  I think that may be because the restoration was to files on Chris's Dropbox, and not on mine.  As I explained, his Dropbox had not synced for a long time, but he deleted several folders which he thought were not in use.  They included the excel file CMP cash book, in CMP Financial, which did not restore with the rest of the folder.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hmm, did your co-worker check his deleted files and events page as well, from their account?

You mentioned that some of the newer files didn't sync for them; did you mean to their computer?

Or did they never even sync to their online account either?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?