cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the order of the photos I've saved in a folder?

Can I change the order of the photos I've saved in a folder?

Splodge
New member | Level 2

Hello all. Will try to keep this brief.

*I have a 2024 Dropbox folder for photos.

*I am taking photos on a camera (because I want to) then once a week, copy the photos into the dropbox folder.

*I have the sort set up to 'date order'.

*Quite often I want to change the order of the photos within the Dropbox folder and/or add a photo into the folder that someone has sent me on whatsapp, or that I have taken on my phone.

*These phone photos just land in a heap at the end of my Dropbox folder and don't automatically go in to date order.

*Also, Dropbox doesn't allow me to simply drag some photos into a different place. (I have tried changing dates on photos, but it just gets ignored).

I'm sure there is a very simple solution to the above, which I look forward to as I'm not that computer literate.  Hope the above makes sense; when I put this query into Google, it seems to just ignore my actual question.

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@Splodge wrote:

Quite often I want to change the order of the photos within the Dropbox folder ... Dropbox doesn't allow me to simply drag some photos into a different place.

It's just a folder of files like any other. Dropbox treats it the same way a folder of files on your computer would be treated. Sort order is determined by the column headers. The default sort order is by name. If sorting by name, the only way to change the order of the files is by changing the file names so they sort in the order you want. Other sorting methods include date modified, file type, size, etc.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?