cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Excel file I share with a Business team is creating conflicted copies

An Excel file I share with a Business team is creating conflicted copies

DebraV
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi

I am currently working on a project for an organisation with an excel file. The excel file is contained in their Dropbox and which I 'share' and have edit rights. This is where I am confused and hope to get a clearer view of what is happening.

I have created an excel file and uploaded to the shared drive.  I assume that when I open the file to view/amend etc, I am in my personal account not their business account.

When I or someone else opens the file, it is creating a conflicted copy of the file. So anytime someone accesses the file it will create a 'conflicted copy' no matter whether it is a member sharing through their business account or me via my personal account?

Is there no way to sync a file?

11 Replies 11

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi, 

So the permissions are as you have them - there isnt anything you can alter here. Dropbox simply has differing features based upon the account type. If you are in a shared folder accessing the data that way there is no difference in this between any account type (even free) other than quota. 

@DebraV wrote:

From what I understand, I can only link 2 accounts on the desktop app if one is a business account. That is why I was wondering if security and permissions can be to the folder level. They may be agreeable to giving me access only to what I need instead of all of it. 

They have shared the folder with me (to my personal account) but I can only access it via the web. I already have another organisations accounts on desktop. It is a paid personal account not 'business' so I can't link both. I know its confusing i am just trying to think of ways around the issue.

If they add you as a business user they will be charged and you can add it to your desktop account - they can just give you access to that one folder if needed as before. But, note that even if you have it set up and working links wise on your desktop verison of Excel it wont work for them - because the links are specific to your device (i.e. things like C:\users\Debbie). When they open them on their machine it will look for things using your links. 

Excel simply isnt designed to work as a database across multiple users. Its designed for one person. One device. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DebraV
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Mark

Think I have found a solution (won't know till I try it out completely). What I have done is created a new windows profile and it now allows me to login under that profile and access Dropbox via the desktop! So that's one problem solved. I will see if this helps with the other issues.

Again many thanks for your assistance in these problems, appreciate the help😊

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DebraV Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?