cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always sync all files in a specific folder to this computer

Always sync all files in a specific folder to this computer

Martynas1
Explorer | Level 3

We have project folders going through different stages of production.
For each of the stage we have a separate folder in the main Dropbox folder directory:

Dropbox:
Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

And so on..

We need files synced to this computer in folders Stage1 and Stage4.
Other folders should be visible but not synced.
As soon as someone takes files out of Stage1 they should be made online only for this computer.
And as soon as someone puts files into Stage4 they should be made available offline for this computer.

Is there a way to do this?

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@Martynas1 wrote:

We need files synced to this computer in folders Stage1 and Stage4.

Right-click each folder and set them to Available Offline. The folder and everything in it will sync to the computer.

Other folders should be visible but not synced.

Right-click each folder and set them to Online-only. The folders and everything in them will be visible on the computer, but won't take up any disk space.

As soon as someone takes files out of Stage1 they should be made online only for this computer.

If someone takes (i.e. moves) a file out of a folder, it's removed from the folder. To make the file online-only in that folder they need to leave the file there, right-click it and select Online-only.

And as soon as someone puts files into Stage4 they should be made available offline for this computer.

If the folder is marked as Available Offline, anything added to it on that computer would be available offline as well. If you're on Windows and you have the New Files Default option in Dropbox Preferences set to Available Offline, files that sync to that folder from other devices would be available offline as well.

Martynas1
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the quick reply,

I've tried setting the folder to available offline, but still some files that are moved to that folder from other devices don't sync. 
Maybe New files default option will do the trick (I'm on mac though). Will try it out tomorrow and see how it goes. 

One more question - if i set new files default option to Available offline, will it affect only the folders that are set to available offline? 
I.e. if someone creates a file from another device in the folder that is set to Online-only on my computer - will it stay stay Online-only?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Martynas1, hope you don’t mind me jump in. 

If you change the default syncing option via your app preferences, then this will apply/affect all folders within your local Dropbox folder. 

So, if you set the default option to “Available offline", and then new files are added to your Dropbox app, they should sync locally instead of online-only.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Martynas1 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?