cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After moving to ~/Library/CloudStorage, permissions are broken and dozens of selective sync errors

After moving to ~/Library/CloudStorage, permissions are broken and dozens of selective sync errors

says
New member | Level 2

I recently misclicked a popup and was forced to move Dropbox paths (I understand this is necessary for Ventura but I'm still on Monterey) and not only did it have to re-download many of my files for some reason, but after hours of syncing, the file permissions wouldn't allow me to open many of the directories inside.

• I manually adjusted some folder permissions and was able to open some of them again but it's not feasible to do for all of them
  • When I restarted, that same folder says "I do not have permission to see its contents" even though I've given read & write to everyone
  • There are loads of selective sync errors appearing that concern me

Question: Should I just nuke my Dropbox installation and let it sync from a fresh start?

Side note: I do think I accidentally agreed to move the folder but I'm very unhappy that it was so easy to do, especially since it's not necessary on this version of macOS apparently. I'm in this nightmare now and it felt like a trick.

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @says, sorry to hear about this. 

Can you clarify if the app is 'up to date' now or still syncing in your menu bar?

Before reinstalling the app, could you maybe try these steps to fix your hardlinks and permissions and let me know how it goes?

As for the MacOS update, you can have a look here for more info about the expected changes.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?