cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "You need permission to perform this action" each time I'm creating a folder.

"You need permission to perform this action" each time I'm creating a folder.

Laha041
New member | Level 2

I have searched through the forum for a solution but have yet to find one.  I am using the desktop and trying to create a folder and keep getting the error, "destination folder access denied"  "you need permission to perform this action".  I have unchecked "read only" in the properties and it re-checks "read only" as soon as I go back to try to create a folder.  I am the owner, administrator etc of this computer and I pay for a drop box plan.  I recently got a new computer and have had this issue ever since!  I should not have to log into dropbox online every time I want to create a folder.    I am running windows 11. I have ensured that I have the proper permissions checked.  I do not know what else I can do at this point.   Please help, as this is affecting my day to day business.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 122615.png

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Laha041, thanks for posting here today! 

Are you trying to create a folder in your personal folder, or in the team space for your account?

I'm asking because in order to add folders into a team folder, you'd need to add them from the Dropbox site or the admin console directly.

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Wiskers
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan - I'm having the same issue.

Previously, I had been able to create new folders directly within the desktop Dropbox application.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Wiskers, do you also have a Dropbox team account?

And can you clarify if you're referring to creating a folder in the team member folder or in the team space?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Wiskers
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah,

Yes - I'm creating a team folder in the team space (what I would call a 'top-level' folder). Previously, I could just create a new folder in Windows Explorer in the Dropbox section but I'm now told I need permission to perform this action. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I see, @Wiskers, thanks for the update.

We appreciate your feedback on this.

At this time, you can only create top-level folders through our website, like Megan mentioned above.

But I'll happily pass your comments along to our team.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

TemiU
Explorer | Level 4

Hello. We are having the same issue, and it is causing great difficulty.  Please revert back to the old system of being able to create new folders in the team space via the desktop app as soon as possible.

cmj212
New member | Level 2

Hi guys,

This is completely unworkable -- we have a team of 7 people and a synology server synced to dropbox on the back end, syncing both ways. We need to be able to create top level folders from desktop of each employee and also back it up to our server and vice-versa. Please get this reverted ASAP, I just spent an hour on the phone with IT trying to figure out why this was not working..

A related piece of feedback: Having to go to the website to do secure file requests is also already prompting us to not use dropbox for such matters at all, because it is highly impractical. Nobody ever logs into the website, it's much more clunky than the desktop option.

Thanks,
Chris

NickC206
New member | Level 2

This change to the folder creation has made the product much more cumbersome to use. Asking people to change the way they make and create folders after many years of creating them using Windows file explorer is bad idea. Please figure out how to go back to the old way of folder creation. 

Need more support?