cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

folder of JPEGs created for PDF?

folder of JPEGs created for PDF?

Edward R.2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I uploaded some PDFs to a shared folder for a few collaborators to view. A few days and some activity later, I noticed that for some of the PDFs, a folder had been created containing page images of the PDF. What's going on with that?

I can't tell which user's actions caused this, and the other users are non-technical and likely would have no idea that their action caused it. One of the users may have the desktop extension installed, the others almost certainly do not. I have personally viewed the PDFs within Dropbox on the web, and no folder was created due to my action.

Example: suppose I created in the Dropbox folder files abc.pdf, def.pdf, and ghi.pdf. Later I discovered folders (same level as the PDFs) abc, abc (1), and def. Folder abc contains files abc (Page 1).jpg, abc (Page 2).jpg, etc through abc (Page 16).jpg -- the PDF is 16 pages. Folder abc (1) is a duplicate of abc. Folder def is similarly a collection of .jpg files representing the pages of def.pdf. No folder ghi exists, although are least some of the collaborators have viewed ghi.pdf.

It's not a big problem of course -- these aren't huge files. Mostly I'm curious, and want to know if it's safe to remove the mystery folders.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Edward R.2 wrote:

I uploaded some PDFs to a shared folder for a few collaborators to view. A few days and some activity later, I noticed that for some of the PDFs, a folder had been created containing page images of the PDF. What's going on with that?

Someone used Save As to convert it to JPG images for each page.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Edward R.2 wrote:

Someone used Save As to convert it to JPG images for each page.

Edward R.2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ah-ha, seems likely. Why they did so is another matter, but not a technical question. Thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Edward R.2 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?