cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a desktop link to a Dropbox folder in Linux Mint

creating a desktop link to a Dropbox folder in Linux Mint

WEavery
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have just moved from Mint 18.2 (64 bit Cinnamon) to Mint 20. On my old desktop I had folders that were links to my Dropbox folders making saved changes automatic. I cannot find instructions for doing this to some additional folders and can't remember how I did it last time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

WEavery
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I finally found what I was looking for. When I open my Dropbox folder and highlight a folder in it, in the Edit menu is a Make Link command which creates a shortcut to the folder I can drag to my desktop. This lets me update info on the cloud by opening the folder directly from my desktop. Keeps me from forgetting to backup important files like my checkbook.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @WEavery, thanks for checking in with us. 

It sounds like you're referring to symlinks, in which case, you can have a look at this article for some additional suggestions. 

I hope this helps, but don't hesitate to give us another nudge if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WEavery
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I finally found what I was looking for. When I open my Dropbox folder and highlight a folder in it, in the Edit menu is a Make Link command which creates a shortcut to the folder I can drag to my desktop. This lets me update info on the cloud by opening the folder directly from my desktop. Keeps me from forgetting to backup important files like my checkbook.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

WEavery New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?