cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Dropbox syncing my personal files and folders now, not just my pics ?

Why is Dropbox syncing my personal files and folders now, not just my pics ?

Saffyron
Explorer | Level 3

I'm annoyed this happened with an upgrade of my computer

Dropbox has synced all of my personal files and folders without my consent and now telling me to upgrade or I will lose all of my files.... HOW FRIGGEN CHEEKY !!!

How do I fix this and stop it syncing everything on my laptop ?

I'm going to report Dropbox soon for doing this without my permission 

Saffyron_0-1674108838081.png

13 Replies 13

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Saffyron, I'm here to help! 

It sounds like you might have accidentally enabled Computer backup. Could you check here if this is the case? 

If this is indeed what has happened here, feel free to use the steps mentioned in this Help Center article, in order to disable it.

Let me know more, once you have an update!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Saffyron
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Megan, thanks for your reply and yep, worked a wonder !

I never agreed to pc backup which is really strange, seems there was a default setting when I purchased the new laptop because my mum's laptop was doing the same thing until I followed your link and also disabled that pc backup on her Dropbox account

Thanks for giving me that info, very much appreciated

🙂

Saffyron
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Megan 

This is doing my head in and I can't get any support any other way which is quite ridiculous actually because it would be easier to speak to someone direct

So I unlinked PC sync from Dropbox but I'm still receiving messages saying my storage is way over limit

When checking I have about 1GB of pics uploaded but when I go into my Dropbox on PC the properties show 12GB or over.  I searched all folders and the PC folder with a link to my documents is showing 11GB in storage

I thought unlinking would stop this problem but it seems there is yet another cunning way Dropbox has accessed my personal files and storing them in my dropbox storage allowance

How do I fix this problem  ???

I don't need to pay for a plan as I'm only at 1GB in total but I keep getting e-mails telling me to upgrade because I'm way over my storage limit.... NO KIDDING 

I removed the link to my PC but that didn't remove the files 

THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS as I never gave authority to sync my PC, seems this automatically happened when I purchased this new laptop and transferred files, and now even after unchecked sync my personal files, somehow they are still stored !!!!

PLEASE HELP otherwise I'm just going to remove and save all pics and delete my account because Dropbox is doing things I don't want it to do without consent in the expecting or anticipating I will upgrade to a paid plan

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Saffyron, could you check your account's plan page, and let me know what it reports there?

What about your Backups page online too? As for your Backup, when you disabled it did you choose to "Keep content in folders on this Mac/PC," or "Leave content in Dropbox,"? 

Let me know more! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Saffyron
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly @Megan 

My account's plan page says Basic, 2GB and underneath says Personal Dropbox Space 8GB of 8GB used and I'm pretty sure I chose keep files on this pc - just to check I enabled PC backup and then disabled again but this hasn't changed the storage properties

Please advise

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Saffyron, sorry to jump in here, but could you check if you can see any files or folders taking up space in your account's homepage or your backups page at all? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Saffyron
Explorer | Level 3

Hey @Walter, no worries at all, happy to accept any help I can get

So, nothing appearing on my backups page but the PC folder is showing up in my files in account homepage

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Have you tried deleting it from there @Saffyron

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Saffyron
Explorer | Level 3

I didn't because I didn't know it was still there until your post.  I have just deleted it, so hopefully that works just hope it didn't delete anything important that wasn't saved to my PC

Thanks for your suggestion @Walter, think that might have solved the problem

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Saffyron Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?