cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my file uploads being renamed?

Why are my file uploads being renamed?

GoeminBakeru
New member | Level 2
For work, I have to upload different files to various clients' Dropbox folders, usually with specific instructions on what to name them. However, often the files I upload will have their names changed automatically when I upload them. For example, if I have a file named "John Smith- File 1" it will often get renamed to "John Smith- File 1 John Smith" or even "File 1 John Smith" Both examples are adding my name again to the end of the title, and in the second example, DELETING my name from the beginning and adding it to the end.
Is this an issue on my end, or some specific renaming setting the client (unintentionally) has on their folder?
5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @GoeminBakeru, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like the person might have an automation running in the folder, which would rename the files that are uploaded there.

Could you check this with them to see if this is the case?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@GoeminBakeru wrote:
For example, if I have a file named "John Smith- File 1" it will often get renamed to "John Smith- File 1 John Smith" or even "File 1 John Smith" Both examples are adding my name again to the end of the title

The other possibility is that you're uploading files through a File Request that you were sent. In this case, the uploader's name will always be appended to the file being uploaded.

The reason this happens is because a single file request can be sent to multiple people, so adding your name to the file allows the recipient to know who the file came from.

GoeminBakeru
New member | Level 2
I don't have contact with the owner of the folders. It happens quite frequently with different folder owners, and it's the same renaming across them. Is it possible there is a setting on my end doing this or would it likely be the folder owners? Are those kinds of file name alterings default automation settings?

GoeminBakeru
New member | Level 2
I am sending through a file request, yes. That would explain why it is repeating my name again. But why sometimes does it take off my name from the beginning of the title. Such as making "John Doe- File 1" into "File 1 John Doe"

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Automations can also affect file request folders, so this is most likely why the name is moving around. Again, this is only something that the owner of the folder can look into, as you're not doing anything wrong, nor have any control on how your files appear there.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    GoeminBakeru New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?