cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PDF highlighting

What's going on with PDF highlighting?

ALarsen
Explorer | Level 3

1. I can`t highlight text in a scanned document (with Adobe pdf reader).

2. I have made `drawings` in a scanned pdf document which were lost.

how can such a key feature not be working properly? I can`t think of a better way to store ly files than dropbox, but this problem could make me change platform.

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

The issue isnt with Dropbox if you opened the files in Adobe, its an Adobe one. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II

A "scanned" document saved in PDF form (whether it was from Dropbox or any other application) isn't in a format that can be easily modified as text. Basically, the entire page of a scanned document is one large image. The lines of text you see usually can't be selected/highlighted because the PDF viewer doesn't see them as text. In some PDF applications you can OCR the file (tell it to look for and recognize text) which may allow you to select the text as text, but that's dependent on the application that you're using.

ALarsen
Explorer | Level 3

I`m sorry if I haven`t expressed myself clearly. When I say I want to highlight text in a scanned pdf I simply mean to draw with color while the text remains fully visible.

I can`t `open with...` anything other than Adobe, and this I blame dropbox for (ipad mini 4). To loose notes/drawings is just completely unacceptable, as I guess everyone can understand.

Thank you for your willingness to help though.

Mark
Super User II

The option to open files with is handled by iOS so that is something which you need to change within the Apple software. Dropbox doesnt control who takes the files

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ALarsen
Explorer | Level 3

Really? Do you know where to change this?

AWX
New member | Level 2

Mark, you must know Dropbox have a 'deal' with Adobe for editing to be with Acrobat apps on ANdroid and iOS. It's unfortunate for me because I'm forced to install their app ro do basic highlighting which other cloud apps (OneDrive, GDrive) do themselves. But those services aren't as widespread as Dropbox. I'd use OneDrive if I could especially as it's 'free' with Office, their PDF higlighting is really good. but it's not implemented in other apps like Dropbox is.

But then Dropbox outsource an essential funciton like this. It's frustrating.

So yes, ALarsen is correct, this does come down to Dropbox's implementation of their service and external deals with other companies. This Adobe 'feature' is not to the benefit of Dropbox's customers. It's to supply Adobe with people to market their resource hungry services to.

G56
New member | Level 2

Is there any hope for Highlighting text in a shared PDF? My Lord! Why so difficult? The feature is there, I click and no results

Need more support?