cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Video .mov Files transfer as Jpegs

Video .mov Files transfer as Jpegs

Kat6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just transferred 18 videos in the .mov format using my Mac desktop (up to date, running Catalina).  They each took 5 minutes or so to transfer, as would be expected. However, when they transferred, and I checked them, they'd all been converted to jpegs, which is a nice thought, but not what I wanted or expected.  Transferring videos was the main reason I paid for the subscription. Any suggestions?  Much appreciated.

37 Replies 37

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @l3x, would you mind giving us some more info about your case?

If you can reply to Walter's questions above as well, that would also be really helpful.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Alarmed-user
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i am having the exact same issue! All my children and family videos have turned into jpg images! and I mean - in dropbox cloud, not just on my local drive.  This is devastating. Has anyone been given a solution to this??

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Alarmed-user, sorry to hear about this.

Could you clarify how exactly you uploaded these files to your Dropbox account in the first place?

Do you see any events mentioning them in your events page?

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

worshipgirl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My company is having the same problem.  So far, our only solution is to go in and rename every file with the .mov extension.  Why is it forcing the .jpg extension on my videos?  I'm using my iphone and uploading directly to DB from my IOS device.  Movies are recorded on the iphone using the DJI software.  We had no problems with uploads until this last month.  Please advise.  Thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @worshipgirl, could you clarify how you added the mov files to your account originally?

Does this happen during the upload, or is the extension changed after some time on your account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

worshipgirl
New member | Level 2

I uploaded them directly from my phone to the dropbox app, also on my phone.  So far the only solution is to go in and rename the files back to MOV.  Super maddening when we have a whole house full of video to upload and rename!

They're in HEVC format at 1080p 60fps.  I don't know what other info you need.  I record them on my phone, and when I transfer them, they show up as unreadable "image" files rather than movie files.

Please help.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @worshipgirl - sorry to jump in here, but could you clarify if you're manually uploading those files or if you're using the automatic camera uploads feature?

You might also want to take a look at this Help Center article while we're at it.

Let us know of any updates!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jeyyo
Explorer | Level 3
I have been having this issue for the past month and was excited to find a whole thread about it but now disappointed there are no solutions. I am downloading videos to my phone from my security cameras. Then I will open the video to view it, hit the Share icon on my android phone, and one of the options is Add to Dropbox. When Dropbox opens, my file name is suddenly lost and renamed "image.jpg" and uploads as an image. It seems that if I download the file and rename it, I can okay the video. But why is this happening? Having to retype every file name is a irritating as it saving in the wrong file format.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jeyyo, could you let us know what Android OS version and Dropbox mobile app version you're running on your machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

jeyyo
Explorer | Level 3

Android version 14, app version 384.2.2. This started about 2 months ago, worked fine before that. 

Need more support?