cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Video .mov Files transfer as Jpegs

Video .mov Files transfer as Jpegs

Kat6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just transferred 18 videos in the .mov format using my Mac desktop (up to date, running Catalina).  They each took 5 minutes or so to transfer, as would be expected. However, when they transferred, and I checked them, they'd all been converted to jpegs, which is a nice thought, but not what I wanted or expected.  Transferring videos was the main reason I paid for the subscription. Any suggestions?  Much appreciated.

37 Replies 37

Banncam
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This is so terrible. It happened to me too. And I didn’t catch it in time so I deleted my videos from my phone after moving them to dropbox. My videos are lost!! I’m very upset.

Kat6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I am truly sorry you lost them. I’m learning that even though we think the digital age tells us that we’ll have things forever, we can’t guarantee it. It then becomes a philosophical problem and not a technical one.

Kat6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
And check your phones deleted files. Maybe they’re still there. I can’t help you with how to do it sadly. But your phone doesn’t want to give up anything in order to use up more room in its memory.

l3x
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi There, 

I'm having the same issue.  When I transfer some videos (.mov) from my iPhoto App into a drop box folder, by dragging and dropping the files are converted to .jpeg.  How do I resolve this issue? Not all the videos just some of them.  

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @l3x, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify the exact steps you take to do this and the OS of the device you're using as well?

Have you tried downloading or exporting the files from your iPhoto App and then uploading them to Dropbox?

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

l3x
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, 

I am using the MacOS Ventura 13.1 and I usually just try to drag and drop from my iphoto app to a folder in my dropbox app. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @l3x, sorry to jump in here.

Is it possible that the videos in the iPhoto app are in some kind of 'online-only' state, meaning they're placeholders instead of actual, full-sized videos?

And is there any way to download or export them to the device first, like Walter suggested, and then move them to Dropbox, to see if that works?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

GRC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue.  I'm trying to upload videos of my recently deceased father for my family members and Dropbox keeps converting them to jpegs.  It is completely not helpful for Dropbox employees to just tell people that isn't happening.  This thread is just people saying they are having this issue and Dropbox people insisting its not possible.  How do you think that is helpful?  I have videos taken from my iPhone in Apple Photos on my computer.  When I drag the videos to Dropbox, it converts the .mov files to .jpeg, static images.  It's maddening at a time I really don't need to be annoyed as I prepare for my father's funeral.  You telling me that isn't a thing, is not helpful.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @GRC, sorry to hear about this.

Can you please me know how this is logged in your events page?

Also, have you tried uploading your files via the website directly? 

Any additional information is more than welcome! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

l3x
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I would love to hear a solution as well. I basically gave up trying a few months ago and have just been using a different service.
Need more support?