cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Often when my video is partially uploaded it stops due to poor internet speed, and though the up

Video is partially uploaded, and then it stops. Why?

mwmaddox
Explorer | Level 4

Often when my video is partially uploaded it stops due to poor internet speed, and though the upload might have already been 50% or more compete, which took several hours, when it stops, it starts from the beginning again. Very frustrating!!! Why can't it just resume from where it stopped. I've been trying to upload a 500Mb video for a month now. Can anyone help me learn a better way of doing this? My Upload speed from is usually around 3-8 Mbps when I run "speedtest.net".

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

I assume you are using the web to upload? If so it has to restart as it doesn't 'know' the file. 

Use the desktop software instead and it will upload from the last 4mb block it uploaded 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mwmaddox
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the response, but I don''t know what you mean when you say, "Use the desktop software instead..."   Does Dropbox have a "desktop software" program that I can use?

Rich
Super User II

@mwmaddox wrote:

Does Dropbox have a "desktop software" program that I can use?

Yes. If you install the Dropbox application it will create a Dropbox folder on your computer and will sync all of your files between your computer and your account online.

Prima2339
Helpful | Level 6

Installing the desktop software WON'T HELP YOU!

I already have both the Dropbox app on my phone, AND the Dropbox software installed on my laptop.

I came across your post because I am looking for a solution to the exact same problem with Dropbox.

After recording a video using my phone (important evidence I need!) the large video file (700mb) won't upload to view or play it on my phone.

Not sure why the other replies suggested you get the Desktop software because it DOES NOTHING to fix THIS issue!!

The only thing the desktop software on my PC does is, SYNC the files to my desktop that were ALREADY UPLOADED on my phone!

That's it!  It just syncs them (your PC & your phone) so you have your pictures/videos available in two locations.

The problem is Dropbox not uploading a video just recorded using my phone....

therefore it will NOT BE ON YOUR DESKTOP SOFTWARE!!!

Dropbox does not sync anything to desktop until it is UPLOADED!

My Dropbox desktop application has NO file of the video I just recorded because it has to first upload onto your Dropbox phone app.

Very frustrating when people offer bad suggestions or bad advice!

Also checked my upload speed...10.56, so the issue is DEFINITELY WITH DROPBOX!!

Also appears that none of these 'super users' offered an effective solution for this issue since it was first posted back in September.

Rich
Super User II

@Prima2339 wrote:

Installing the desktop software WON'T HELP YOU!

It will, actually, as the issue in the original post is referring to an upload to the Dropbox website using a browser; not the Dropbox app on a mobile device.

In the case of the original poster, using the Dropbox app to sync files from the computer to their account online will allow the file to continue from where it left off should the transfer be interrupted, which was what the original post was about.

After recording a video using my phone (important evidence I need!) the large video file (700mb) won't upload to view or play it on my phone.

If you're having a problem uploading files from your mobile device, I'd suggest starting a new topic with the full details of the issue, and someone may be able to assist you.

Prima2339
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for clarifying.
I now understand better that Dropbox does not perform well uploading from a browser OR the mobile app!

My file (5 minute video) finally completed the upload after 6 hours.

If I were grading Dropbox....6 minutes for a 700mb file would be an A+.

6 HOURS!??...That's an "F-"

Need more support?