cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent Help Needed: Photos Library Sync Issue with Dropbox after copying them to Vault

Urgent Help Needed: Photos Library Sync Issue with Dropbox after copying them to Vault

Kotik3000
Explorer | Level 3

Hello dear Dropbox Community,

I need your help. Today I have a vacation. But the entire mood has been ruined since the early morning. Dropbox is better than five shots of coffee. Yesterday, I decided to sync my MacBook's Photos library, which is more than 70GB in size, to Dropbox Vault before heading out on a trip for safety reasons. I just copied them in the Dropbox folder on my Mac. I expected everything to be safely uploaded in the morning. However, this morning, Vault showed an empty file, and there’s a 16GB file outside the Vault that named view-only conflicts. Later Vault synced a folder of 2Gb. But even all together, it is not 70Gb of my memories. More than that, I see the original Photos folder in the pictures folder has been removed

These photos mean a lot to me — over a decade of memories. Can you help me find out what happened and how to return my photos?

Thank you a lot!

12 Replies 12

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

What Rich means, @Kotik3000, is that for you to retrieve your files through Dropbox, they would have to be synced to our servers, after being placed in your Dropbox folder.

If they never synced, it's like they never existed in Dropbox.

That's why I suggested looking through your drive, to see if you can locate them there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kotik3000
Explorer | Level 3

Hannah,

Again.
The Photo library was moved to the Dropbox folder on my Mac on the evening of 4th November. 70Gb. The folder on my Mac contains only 16+2 = 18Gb and has been split into two libraries since 5th November.

Do you want me to tell you that MacOS changed the Dropbox folder? Never saw MacOS marking folders view-only-conflicts 7 hours after I moved folder. I think the most obvious explanation is that it's Dropbox, also that what the logs show.

I am very disappointed that after so many years of loyalty to Dropbox, the only support response I've received places the blame on me and zero wish to fix the issue.

Kotik3000
Explorer | Level 3
Never saw MacOS marking folders view-only-conflicts 7 hours after I moved folder.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kotik3000 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?