cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading large folders and merge with existing files using the web. Is it possible?

Uploading large folders and merge with existing files using the web. Is it possible?

beyon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone

I have huge issues with my files, due to a broken pc and errors in hard drives and I now have  a mess with my files. Now it has been 1 year of nightmare working with my files. 

Before I used dropbox I had another cloud storage provider, which couldn't handle files above 1gb, so I never could upload my entire external hard drive. 

Because of this I have my folder structure from the old storage provider copied to dropbox which worked. In the mean time I was using this folder structure for work, so lots new files are now saved in dropbox. Now I want to upload all my data from my external hard drive to dropbox as well and merge them with the existing folder structure. 

Because my computer has only a fraction of the storage space of my external hard drive, I can't copy them into my dropbox folder. I need to upload them directly from my external harddrive to dropbox an merge them with the existing folder structure. In the browser this doesn't seem to work, I guess due to the size. Because there are so many files, I also can't do it folder by folder. 

How can I achieve this? Usually when merging folder structure's the computer ask if it should skip existing files and then it just adds the other ones. This is what I want. 

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

@beyon wrote:

How can I achieve this? Usually when merging folder structure's the computer ask if it should skip existing files and then it just adds the other ones. This is what I want. 

That would only be possible if you did it on the computer. Website upload has no way of checking files and so would upload everything I'm afraid. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

beyon
Explorer | Level 3

Alright, that means i have to use a computer with tons of storage... 

Do you think there is no other way? Problem is I have folders with thousands of images in it and I can hardly upload them after one another without getting lost where I left, while waiting for the upload.

Mark
Super User II

Unfortunately if you do via website, no, there isnt a way to do this 😞 

The only thing I can think is to do in small batches - wait for them to upload and mark them as online only to recover the space. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    beyon Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?