cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds from Synology NAS - Dropbox slow vs much faster Google Drive

Upload speeds from Synology NAS - Dropbox slow vs much faster Google Drive

Limewire
Explorer | Level 3

I have a Dropbox business account. I am trying to upload files directly from my Synology NAS to my Dropbox business account.

I am using FileStation on the Synology NAS to directly upload them to Dropbox, essentially that NAS itself is uploading the files itself rather than going to Dropbox via my computer, but the speeds are very slow. Currently for Dropbox I get about 5-10MB/s.

My current internet connection is a 1GB up/down direct-to-home fibre connection. I have run speed tests on the internet itself and there are no problems.

I also did a file upload test with Google Drive in the exact same way and was able to get over 60Mb/s upload. So it can't be the NAS itself that is limiting the upload speeds.

I have removed the upload limit in the bandwidth settings in the Dropbox desktop app.

I'm unsure as to why Dropbox specifically is giving me significantly slower speeds?

12 Replies 12

Thanushan
Explorer | Level 4

@Round 7 Productions 

I am in the same boat as you, I am trying to move over 100 TB of data from google drive (15 days left). I have tried contacting both Synology and Dropbox with zero help. Dropbox won't support Synology apps and Synology just blames it on your ISP. I tried uploading via the Dropbox desktop app and I still get the same speed. Dropbox doesn't have an answer. We are just stuck with these speeds.

Round 7 Productions
Explorer | Level 4
@Thanushan
Probably not best practice to mention another provider on this thread but maybe they’ll hear us if so… I tested Box last night and I got 2.5x the speeds I get with Dropbox. This speed thing is going to pose issues for us so I may have to switch. - I just wish GD didn’t go back on their word with unlimited storage.

Rich
Super User II

@Round 7 Productions wrote:

Why am I getting faster speeds to Google Drive than Dropbox? Is it simply a different process and one is faster than the other?

I can't answer that as I'm not familiar with how the sync process works for Drive.

I've contacted both Synology support and Dropbox directly about this ...

It's unlikely that they'll be able to assist you. You're using an unofficial sync client that wasn't created by Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Round 7 Productions Explorer | Level 4
    Thanushan Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?