cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to upload a file using Safari

Unable to upload a file using Safari

Mark Siegel
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Suddenly, dropbox.com isn't allowing me to upload a file if I'm using Safari as my browser.  It works fine using Chrome.  Any ideas what's going on?

26 Replies 26

Mark Siegel
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I posted in another message that I was on the phone with Apple Support for 2-1/2 hours about this!  The first tech put me through every trouble-shooting procedure possible:  

- Delete cookies, history, caches

- Delete startup applications

- start Safari in safe mode

- reboot MacBook in safe mode

- Create a Test User and run through all those tests again.

Nothing worked, which didn't surprise me -- the behavior suggests to me that it's a bug in the latest Safari update.

I was then upgraded to a senior tech advisor, who believed everything I said, and we ran a system report which we uploaded (that took most of the call time) which will be submitted to the Apple engineers to see if they can spot anything in the code causing the problem.  Hopefully that will lead to a fix in the next update.

In a followup call from Apple, I told the tech that I had read several more reports about the same problem here in the Dropbox community, which he added to the report to the engineers, hopefully as confirmation of the bug.

So I'll first suggest this:  Call Apple Support, simply tell them about the problem and that there have been many reports about it, including my case.  If Apple is flooded with calls, it will become a "known issue", which might help speed up the fix.

Meanwhile, I have found a helpful and SIMPLE workaround, so you may not have to resort to switching to Chrome as the browser!:

In every case I've found -- my Gmail account, my AOL.com account, and on Dropbox.com -- you can simply drag-and-drop your file onto the upload or attach button!

Hope this helps!

Ange3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have the same problem and it’s more than a month after you posted. Have you found a fix yet other than using Chrome, etc.?

Mark Siegel
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

As of the latest update, Apple has not fixed that Safari bug.

But, in case you didn't see this in my previous posts, although I have not found an actual fix, I found a solution in the form of a workaround in Safari, without having to go to another browser.  This is what I posted:

I have found a helpful and SIMPLE workaround, so you may not have to resort to switching to Chrome as the browser!:

In every case I've found -- my Gmail account, my AOL.com account, and on Dropbox.com -- you can simply drag-and-drop your file onto the upload or attach button!

Mark

Ange3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Yes, I’ve been using Chrome instead of Safari but it’s hugely inconvenient. I hope they fix it soon! Thanks for the reply.

aglencross
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Drag and drop. No Chrome required.

Ange3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Drag abs drop doesn’t work either. 😢

aglencross
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Well, that stinks, sorry. It's been working for me on all sites except Bandcamp, where I have to switch to Chrome. I hope Apple will address this issue soon, it's kind of a big deal.

Sinjorina
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's 4.1.2021 and the issue with Safari is still present.  

WillBG
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for posting this. I have also been having issue. When using Safari to upload files it get multiple error mesages. When using Chrome I get a clean upload with zero errors. This is on a new 2020 iMac running Safari 14 and Catalina 10.15.7. 

In Safari the drag and drop works but the upload drops files and freezes when using Safari. Zero problems when using Chrome. This has been a problem for me for over a month now when uploading mulitple files. 

Mark Siegel
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks for that update.

As I've suggested before, anyone who experiences this should call Apple support -- 1 (800) 275-2273‬ -- and report the problem.  If they try to lead you through trouble-shooting steps, tell them it's useless:  that MANY people in this forum have reported the same problem, and it should be a "known issue".  Maybe if they get enough calls, eventually they will finally recognize that, and hopefully the engineers will get it fixed!

Need more support?