cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Jupyter sync project directories with python environments on macOS

Unable to Jupyter sync project directories with python environments on macOS

welr
Explorer | Level 3

I am having trouble opening Jupyter notebooks created on one macOS computer (source) on another macOS computer (target) synced through Dropbox.  The Dropbox app on the target computer shows that all files are up to date.  The Dropbox app on the source computer, however, lists six folders that have not synced correctly which are all tied to python projects and (it appears) the virtual environments associated with those projects.  Specifically, the folders identified as failing to sync on the source machine are 'python', 'python3', 'python3.9', 'myenv', and 'bin', and a python project directory.  Clicking to view any of these directories, however, directs me to the Dropbox.app in the macOS Applications directory. 

I discovered this issue from trying to open a jupyter notebook on the target machine that is not (obviously) in any of these directories, however.  This notebook was created on source computer but cannot be opened from the synced directory on the target computer.  However, I am able to send a version of the notebook saved on the source computer through another channel and open and run the notebook on the target computer. 

Any guidance or help would be very much appreciated. 

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @welr, thanks for messaging the Community.

Is the error message appearing in the Dropbox desktop application itself? 

Are the folders listed and selected in the selective sync window?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

welr
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Yes, the error appears in the Dropbox desktop application, the folders are almost certainly included in the selective sync window, as all of my folders in my Dropbox directory are selected. (I assume therefore that all subdirectories are included as well.) 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Are the folders definitely synced on the Dropbox site?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

welr
Explorer | Level 3

Yes.  Furthermore, I can download the afflicted file from the Dropbox site and run it on the target mac.

I should perhaps draw attention again that the afflicted file (an "i-python} notebook) is not located in any of the folders that are identified as having sync issues by the destop app on the source computer.

The specific error (with part of the file path removed) the file raises on the target machine when I attempt to open it from the synced Dropbox directory is:

File Load Error for small-dataset-validation-methods.ipynb

Unreadable Notebook: /Users/.../small-dataset-validation-methods.ipynb NotJSONError("Notebook does not appear to be JSON: ''"

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @welr,

Did you make sure desired files are available offline in advance? 🧐 If not, give it a try. You'll need to repeat in advance this whenever you want to do something with your project.

Good luck.

welr
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Здравко,

Yes, I believe they are available offline insofar as if I download them and send them through a chat or email, they run fine on either machine.  It is peculiar that the source machine's Dropbox app is raising a sync error, but not for the directory of the afflicted ipynb file; everything runs fine on the source machine, but not on the target machine, for which there is no indication of a syncing error in the Dropbox app running on the target machine.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

welr Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?