cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two computers one account

Two computers one account

Brice d.3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

If I have two computers with Dropbox and each one is using the same Dropbox account what would happen if I start with both computer synced like this:

/Dropbox/Folder1

File1.txt

/Dropbox/Folder2

File2.txt

Now I turn off computer 2.

On computer 1 I change the above to the following by renaming the first folder and deleting the second folder.

/Dropbox/Folder1NewName    #folder name change

File1.txt                                     #content change

File2.txt                                    #file added

Now I turn on computer 2 and let it sync. What would be the result after syncing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The result would be :
Folder renamed
Folder 2 deleted AS WELL AS ITS SUB FOLDERS (i.e. File2.txt)

Dropbox is a syncing tool. So whatever happens on one device mirrors to all others.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Brice d.3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
And sorry for not just trying it, but I'm scared to death to turn on computer 2 right now.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The result would be :
Folder renamed
Folder 2 deleted AS WELL AS ITS SUB FOLDERS (i.e. File2.txt)

Dropbox is a syncing tool. So whatever happens on one device mirrors to all others.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Brice d.3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. That simple "mirror" idea seems to help me a lot. But, obviously, if both computers are changing, then "mirror" doesn't really represent a complete analogy (in my case above it does and so your answer is perfect for my immediate need).

Is there a document that I can access that describes how Dropbox resolves conflicts? Simple file conflicts I understand, but there are many folder conflicts that I can't grasp how they would be resolved.

For example, computer1 deletes Folder1 and computer2 adds a file to Folder1 before either can sync. In this example, let's say that the delete folder arrives at the server first. What happens to the file when it arrives?

I suppose once my laptop syncs (which I am no longer afraid of :), I will just try these ideas and see what happens. But thanks for your time and any comment you might have.

PJM3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The Sync is good but one of my computers is low on disk space so I decided I dont want all the stored folders but if I delete any folders the sync will remove it from the from other computer.

is there a way to organise that one computer only syncs with selected folders?

ernstMreicher58
Super User
Go to solution

for that reason there is selective sync!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Falls Ihnen meine Antwort gefallen oder geholfen hat, können Sie mir ein "Kudo" (Like) geben oder "Als Lösung akzeptieren" anklicken.
If you like my answer or find it helpful you could give me a "Kudo" (Like) or click at "Accept as Solution"
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ernstMreicher58 Super User
    PJM3 Explorer | Level 4
    Brice d.3 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?