cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Two Dropbox folders

Two Dropbox folders

rowan_bradley
Explorer | Level 3

I have discovered that I have two dropbox folders, one at C:\Users\Rowan\Documents\Dropbox, and the other at D:\XPS_8700 Extended Files\Users\RowanB\Documents\Dropbox. Both show with the Dropbox icon. I created the folder D:\XPS_8700 Extended Files\Users\RowanB\Documents\ when I installed a big disk to hold all of my working files, and have been using it as my Documents folder since then. How do I get rid of the second dropbox folder (which is using up disk space unnecessarily) while being sure that I don't lose any important files?

Thank you - Rowan

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@rowan_bradley wrote:

I have discovered that I have two dropbox folders ... Both show with the Dropbox icon.

Open the Dropbox app and go to Preferences, then click on the Sync tab. What does it show for your Dropbox folder location?

rowan_bradley
Explorer | Level 3

When I open the Dropbox application, I get 4 menu items:

File

Home

View

None of these contains any reference to Preferences. How do I find Preferences?

Thank you - Rowan

rowan_bradley
Explorer | Level 3

I found it now. It says that the Dropbox folder location is C:\Users\Rowan\Documents\Dropbox. This is obviously not what I want. How do I change it, and get rid of this folder, without risk of losing files?

Thank you - Rowan

Rich
Super User II

@rowan_bradley wrote:

I found it now. It says that the Dropbox folder location is C:\Users\Rowan\Documents\Dropbox. This is obviously not what I want.

Since you've said you've been using the D drive Dropbox folder, the first thing you need to do is make sure that all of the files in that folder are showing in your account and synced. I'd sign in to the Dropbox website and see if any of the files that you've recently added to your Dropbox folder are showing in your account.

If the files aren't showing in your account, and I doubt they will be since the active Dropbox folder is on your C drive, you'll need to move or copy them to the Dropbox folder on your C drive and allow them to sync.

Once you've moved/copied your files and they have finished syncing, rename the D drive Dropbox folder to Dropbox.OLD. Go into Preferences within the Dropbox app and click on the Sync tab, then click on the Move button and specify the new location for your Dropbox folder. This will move the Dropbox folder from your C drive to wherever you want it to be. This is the only way to move the Dropbox folder. Give it time, especially if your Dropbox is large. It will take time to move and index your files. LET IT WORK.

Once you have everything the way you want and you've made sure that you have all of your files in your account, you can delete the Dropbox.OLD folder, though I'd leave it alone for a while, just to be sure.

Need more support?