cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Backup to Online only on Windows 11

Trying to Backup to Online only on Windows 11

JanK
Helpful | Level 6

I have Windows 11. I want to use backup program to save directly to Dropbox cloud only. I create folder in Dropbox on computer and set it to online only (white cloud icon). When I write to it, it reverts to offline (green check).

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@JanK wrote:

I create folder in Dropbox on computer and set it to online only (white cloud icon). When I write to it, it reverts to offline (green check).

Files you add directly to the folder will be Available, meaning stored locally, even if the folder is marked as Online-only. Effectively the folder is a mixed state at that point.

After you add files to the folder, either set the files to Online-only, or set the folder to Online-only again.

JanK
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks. That's exactly what's happening. I'm trying to do an automatic daily backup (sync) of all my data every night with the Syncback program without creating a complete second copy on my hard-drive. Manually deleting it every morning kind of defeats the purpose. The dropbox,com doesn't seem to help either. All upload options are manual - navigate and select or drag and drop.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JanK Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?