cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Email to Dropbox not working

The Email to Dropbox feature isn't working - nothing gets uploaded to my account.

ebeshore
Explorer | Level 3

Hello. I have a basic (free) account and am attempting to test uploading files via email.

I am running a Mac (sonoma 14.6.1) using Mac Mail.  I set up the the email to dropbox feature at my Dropbox settings, received a confirming email that it was enabled and attempted to reply to that email (as suggested) with an email that has a simple JPEG (~3MB) attachment. No file appears in my "Email Attachments" folder. No note from Dropbox suggesting there is a problem or confirming the attempted upload. No bounced email. Plenty of room available in my account.

I have seen in another thread on this forum that there seems to be a recurring problem with this feature. Can anyone comment about recurring problems?  Any suggestions about possible errors on my part?

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II

@ebeshore wrote:

I ... received a confirming email that it was enabled and attempted to reply to that email (as suggested) with an email ... No file appears in my "Email Attachments" folder.

The confirmation email said to reply to that message? Can you provide a screenshot of that? Was the email address that you were replying to the one that was provided when you set up the Email to Dropbox feature?

Most communications from Dropbox are sent from a no-reply email address. You would need to email your files to the specific email address shown at the bottom of this page in the Features section.

ebeshore
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes - confirmation email said to reply to the message. I also confirmed that the sender email address corresponded to the "email to dropbox" address assigned when I set up the feature.

See clip from the original email that gave this instruction....

Ed

ebeshore_0-1729100958513.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @ebeshore! Can you try to turn off the feature and then enable it again? Can you upload your files to Dropbox after that?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ebeshore
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy!  Thanks for writing.

Did that. No joy. 😟

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ebeshore, let me also jump in here! 

Are you forwarding these emails to your "Email to Dropbox" address, or are you emailing the address directly? 

Also, what email provider (Gmail, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc.) are you using on your end? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ebeshore
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Megan, thanks for writing.

I am sending emails with an attachment directly to my assigned Email-to-Dropbox address. Email address looks something like this:  infront.erupt.concern.harsh.beyond@addtodropbox.com (not an actual address)

I am using a Mac running the latest version of Sonoma and MacMail and via my iCloud account.

Regards, Ed

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ebeshore, do you see that the Email Attachments folder is empty on other web browsers as well?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

ebeshore
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah -

Thanks for your suggestion. Files do not appear in my shared drive folder on the Mac, nor in the Dropbox.com "Email attachments" folder viewed with Safari or Firefox.

Ed

ebeshore
Explorer | Level 3

Just to give it another shot, I turned off the Email to Dropbox, turned it back on, received another email from Dropbox saying how to try it out, sent an independent email (not a reply to the Dropbox notification this time) with a 3MB JPEG attachment and no file in my Dropbox Email Attachments folder.

Something is busted...

Ed

Need more support?