cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing problems MAC and iPhone

Syncing problems MAC and iPhone

Lars Engseth
Explorer | Level 3

My dropbox account is not syncing shared folders to the Mac-app or the iPhone-app, but is synced online. I have tried reinstalling and I have checḱed that there is no selective sync-setting. Any solutions?

13 Replies 13

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Lars Engseth, I am wishing you a great week ahead! 

Have you made sure you're connected to the same Dropbox account on all of your devices? 

Also, have you taken a look at this Help center article? 

Let me know of any updates.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lars Engseth
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have tried all your suggestions and the help center article.

The problem is that folders that are shared with me by other people are not getting uploaded to my dropbox-app on mac og iPhone. Even-though the sync-history tells me they are synced. In the dropbox-app the sync-icon just shows that the folders are syncing without them doing so.

Any suggestions?

Lars

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Lars Engseth, sorry to jump in here. 

Could you please send us a screenshot of those folders on our website and another one of where they should be in your Dropbox folder on your computer?

Also, if you've ensured that the app is up to date and not still syncing in your menu bar, could you check your selective sync settings through the app's preferences again?

Keep us posted, Lars. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Lars Engseth
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Screens shots are linked. They show the folders on the  website, the syncing history (which shows synced files) and the app (missing documents). The menu bar shows that the app is syncing, but it has been this way for days/ weeks now.

I have checked the selective sync again. I do not have any selective syncing.

I have tried reinstalling the app a number of times.

I hope you are able to help.

Kind regards,

Lars

Skjermbilde 2022-02-12 kl. 20.53.01.pngSkjermbilde 2022-02-12 kl. 20.53.41.pngSkjermbilde 2022-02-12 kl. 20.53.56.pngSkjermbilde 2022-02-12 kl. 20.54.20.pngSkjermbilde 2022-02-12 kl. 20.54.31.pngSkjermbilde 2022-02-12 kl. 20.54.46.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the additional information @Lars Engseth

How long has it been stuck at syncing? Is it showing the same number of files or is it changing?

Could you maybe try fixing your hardlinks and permissions as outlined here and let me know if that helped improve matters?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Lars Engseth
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

It is the same files that are not syncing. These are files shared by others. It has been like this for 1 months, it looks like.

When I try to fix hard links I get an error message saying it could not be fixed. Permissions I was able to fix.

The following pictures shows error messages for som of the problematic files: It says "Could not sync. Remove check from Locked-box in file information. The problem is that these are view-only files and I do not have permission to edit locking-permissions. I have tried the following link: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/file-locking

Does the admin have to change any settings on the view-only files? They want them to be locked, but my permission is View-only and I should be able to sync this files. Am I right?

Skjermbilde 2022-02-17 kl. 22.54.40.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Could you move them out of your Dropbox folder and then back in @Lars Engseth?

Also, if you could send us a screenshot of the error you got when trying to fix your hardlinks, I'd appreciate it. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Lars Engseth
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I cannot move them out of my dropbox folder, as I cannot see them in the app. And I am not allowed to move anything in to the folders as they are "view only".

Here is a picture of the error when trying to fix hard links. It says "unexpected error. Could not fiks hard links in dropbox. Contact support if this error persists."

Skjermbilde 2022-02-17 kl. 22.45.03.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the additional information and the screenshot too, Lars.

Our desktop application is unable to sync some types of files left open by certain applications. When this happens, Dropbox will report that the "file is in use" from the Dropbox desktop application menu in your menu bar/system tray. 

Some software, like Microsoft Office, places locks on files while they are being edited. The feature avoids conflicts that can occur if the file is changed by another computer. This lock also prevents Dropbox from accessing and syncing the file.

To allow Dropbox to sync these files, you'll need to save and quit any applications where the file is open. Once you do, Dropbox will fully sync the files.

If you are sharing the data between computers you must NOT run the application on more than one computer at a time. You will generate file conflicts and other problems.

Thus, the pattern needs to be:
  1. Let files sync
  2. Start application
  3. Save files
  4. Quit application
  5. Repeat on different computers.
Let me know if this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Lars Engseth Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?