cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing icons on the files in the Dropbox folder have changed

Syncing icons on the files in the Dropbox folder have changed

johnrinek
Helpful | Level 6

Hello
The Finder Extension Icons indicating whether a file or folder is Online Only or Available Offline are showing up in my Finder, however, the statuses are incorrect. For instance a folder that contains files that are both Online Only files and Available Offline files is showing a cloud icon, when it should be showing a white circle with a green checkmark and green outline. I think the Finder Extension is confused. Is there a way to reset the Finder Extension so the icons show correctly without changing the Online Only or Available Offline settings that I have for my files/folders? I do not want to change the statuses of my files/folders, I just want the icons to indicate the statuses correctly. Thank you.
Mac 10.14.6
Dropbox 152.4.4880

163 Replies 163

Maximilian89
Helpful | Level 6

I have this same issue, and it is making Dropbox borderline unusable.  Please change it back to the old system before I fall any further behind at work.

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

Agreed. The new system is unbelievably useless and will force my company to move to another cloud client if dropbox can’t put it back how it was. 

Who at Dropbox came up with this?

For synced files, we need to see

—Folders fully online only 

—Folders mixed online/local

—Folders fully local

That’s how it was and it was very effective. the new system is just nuts and I cannot understand why they did this. Planning to move company elsewhere 

michael tan
Helpful | Level 6

yep, truly mind-blowing how DropBox can make such a great system, and then without warning or explanation, completely ruin it. it’s almost like someone is trying to sabotage it.

IT MAKES NO SENSE. Why would they remove the distinction between a “mixed” folder and a completely “online-only” folder ??? As others have said, trying to find which folders are hogging HD space is now impossible without manually inspection their entire contents, and their subfolders’ contents. WTF???

and i can’t for the life of me think about why it matters if a local file was made local by “opening it in an app” or “bringing it offline by right-clicking”

Speaking of, i hate the “online-only / available offline” names, i always have to pause to think about what it means. If a file is “offline”, my instinct is that file *isn’t* available locally. how about just LOCAL and CLOUD? or just 🟢 or :white_circle:️ ?  clear and fast.

So disappointing.

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

I have already commented here but I hope everyone who lands on this discussion upvotes it. Those of us who have brought our companies into the Dropbox ecosystem, and liked it, hope that they will wake up and fix this before they lose our business (and we lose a bunch of time moving to another service).

Frennys
Explorer | Level 4

Agree ! I also sent a message in the community asking if it was me having issues. The new app looks like the old one but malfunctioning! 

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

It’s very frustrating that this topic is not getting upgraded, there are actually a bunch of different complaint threads about it spread out across the community, but because the topic’s commenters aren’t consolidated, Dropbox is not seeing or responding to them. 

The stupidity of this icon change makes me so annoyed every day while I (try to) work. They really messed up a great product and the time is ticking before my company moves to another cloud service.

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10

Totally agree @arigoldfilms.

I also don't know how long they will take to get the previous back. Hopefully soon! 

rusdom
Collaborator | Level 9

Has anyone heard any new responses from Dropbox lately?

This change has been so debilitating. It's been weeks of lost productivity now...I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out. 

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

I tweeted to Dropbox and someone replied, said they would look into it but it feels like this is falling on deaf ears. Feel free to do the same, folks.

I am also thinking of moving my company elsewhere although I prefer not to because of the hassle, but the icon system as it is now just doesn’t work. Like you, losing lots of productivity time with my partners who can no longer figure out what is on or off-line.

Boggles the mind that they did this. 

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

Still waiting...

Need more support?