cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync Dropbox to the root of a drive (e.g. F:\)

Sync Dropbox to the root of a drive (e.g. F:\)

laegteskov
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Dropbox,

I'm using Windows and I need to be able to sync my files to the root of a drive e.g. F:\. If I select F: in the sync-application then it automatically points to F:\Dropbox and I can't use it like this.

Is it possible to change this behaviour in registry or other settings?

Thanks!

Lasse

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@laegteskov wrote:

Is it possible to change this behaviour in registry or other settings?

No, that's not possible. Dropbox will always create a Dropbox folder to store your synced files.

laegteskov
Explorer | Level 4

Is it a feature that I can request? 

Actually I found two different solutions:

1. Install Dropbox on my harddrive I named Z. Then do a "Subst F: Z:\Dropbox" on startup thus creating a F:-drive. It's not directly a physical drive but it might work for most uses. You will then have to live with two different drive mappings.

2. The solution I'm using now: 

a. My physical drive is F:

b. Install the Sync-app and point to C:\Dropbox

c. Terminate the installation just before it finishes and copy the files created by the Dropbox-app over on my drive F:\

d. Delete and recreate C:\Dropbox

e. In Disk Manager assign the harddisk drive to C:\Dropbox (creating a link) as well as keeping the assignment to F:-drive 

f. Start the sync app and it will continue to sync to the linked C:\Dropbox-folder and I can use the normal drive F:.

Best

Lasse

kriskra
Explorer | Level 4
I am actually voting for this!! Having a hard drive mounted to D:\ for Dropbox, how cool would that be?! Now it is D:\Dropbox to access my files, how lame… I would much prefer to be able to choose the root folder to make it D:\ only!

Cheering for D for Dropbox!! *cheer* People who dedicate a whole drive letter to Dropbox should get some free capacity, just for the dedication they show! 🙂 I actually think „D for Dropbox“ could be a cool marketing gag for granting a gig extra!! 🙂
Need more support?