cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Share HTML File With Link That Will be Viewed as a Webpage

Share HTML File With Link That Will be Viewed as a Webpage

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

How do I create a link to an HTML file in my Dropbox account that, when viewed by a non-Dropbox user, will be rendered as a webpage and not as raw HTML? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DaveLeeNC wrote:

How do I create a link to an HTML file in my Dropbox account that, when viewed by a non-Dropbox user, will be rendered as a webpage and not as raw HTML?

That's not possible. Dropbox removed the ability to render HTML years ago.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DaveLeeNC wrote:

How do I create a link to an HTML file in my Dropbox account that, when viewed by a non-Dropbox user, will be rendered as a webpage and not as raw HTML?

That's not possible. Dropbox removed the ability to render HTML years ago.

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

A most irritating answer, but I am not going to shoot the messenger 😁 . Thanks for the quick response.

Hannah C
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi @DaveLeeNC !

As @Rich mentioned, we do not render HTML files today to prevent abuse via share links and I apologize for the inconvenience.

I'd also love to understand how you are using Dropbox and HTML files (e.g. Who are you sharing these files with? Why via Dropbox?) to see if there are any workarounds and help us consider revisiting the decision regarding HTML preview. 

Thanks!

Hannah

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7

Hannah, this is very much a one-off use of DBox and the choice of DB was just simplicity, since I am a DB user. I am creating file that contains all the links for all of our assets and financial online stuff (from banking to brokerage accounts to Amazon to streaming services, utilities, etc). Passwords would be managed by a password manager. This is mostly for my wife's use if/when I am not around (we are both old and one of us will go first). It would also contain instructions/etc specific to each target. And I also wanted it to run in a clean browser (on her computer) that wasn't used for anything else. But there are other ways to do the same thing.

BTW, my primary use of DB is music sharing with a small group of guitar buddies. So we are mostly sharing media in various formats and PDF files plus the occasional oddball file format specific to some oddball music application (Musescore and Guitar Pro would be typical examples).

Need more support?