cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up external drive with APFS Format to sync with Dropbox

Setting up external drive with APFS Format to sync with Dropbox

Jurij-MacBook2022
Explorer | Level 3

What is the best practice to setting up certain folders within my external APFS hard drive and have them sync with my DropBox? 

This drive is connected to my MacBook Pro M1 processor

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Jurij-MacBook2022 - thanks for dropping by our Community! 

Could you please clarify if you're already installed the Dropbox desktop app or if you're now setting it up for the first time on this computer?

If it's the former, can you take a look at the app's preferences and let us know the location of your Dropbox folder? 

I'm only asking because if you're using the desktop app for Mac OS on File Provider, I'm afraid moving your Dropbox folder to an external drive isn't supported.

Since you mentioned certain folders, have you considered backing them up to Dropbox instead?

Let us know more and  we'll take it from there, Jurij. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jurij-MacBook2022
Explorer | Level 3

Many thanks for your quick response!

I am using the Dropbox Desktop and I have it installed on my ipad and iPhone. And I can log into my account on any computer to see mostly my pictures and videos.

For example the attachment shows the synch conflict error and I have tried to simply delete that folder on either the MacBook, iPad or iPhone and shortly after I delete it it reappears. 

I have been using dropbox for the past 7 or 8 years and I first started on a Windows PC and then later on an Apple Desktop. It was simple because I synced everything with my computer, iPad and iPhone nicely. 

I know have a 2 year old MacBook and a 5TB external HD and I would like only certain folders to synch. IMG_4711.PNG

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too @Jurij-MacBook2022!

Did you have the chance to review the document, my colleague @Walter provided about Dropbox Backup, and if that would work for you? 

As for the folder and files you attached here: did you use your mobile or desktop app to delete them, or did you use your account online on the web? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jurij-MacBook2022
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Af few days ago I unfortunately erased my external drive and thankfully I have a "carbon copy" app backup from Nov 2023.

In order to retrieve files from my dropbix, how can I tell it to download from dropbox back to my external drive?

And should I be doing this via the Dropbox website?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hello @Jurij-MacBook2022!

When you say "retrieve" files from your Dropbox to your external drive, do you wish to copy or download some content that you now have inside your Dropbox account, to the drive? 

If so, then you can either use the website in order to download the files to the drive directly. Or if you use the desktop app, you can copy the content from within your Dropbox folder, and paste it into your external drive.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Jurij-MacBook2022
Explorer | Level 3

Many thanks for your response.

I would simply like to synchronise certain folders from my external drive with Dropbox. Where are the settings for this? And I find that when I delete a file on my external drive it does not delete in the same area of my Dropbox. For my external drive folders I would like to see both an online and offline copy synchronizing. But for my ipad and iPhone can I simply see them online?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

In order to sync certain folders from your external drive with Dropbox, you can use these steps. 

If the drive isn't syncing with Dropbox, then it wouldn't delete the file within your Dropbox folder, since they are two different, individual paths and files/folders. 

When you use your iPad, or iPhone, the content isn't stored locally on the device, so technically the content will always be online. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Jurij-MacBook2022 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?