cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same Dropbox account, can view on one computer, but not on another.

Same Dropbox account, can view on one computer, but not on another.

Korky K.
Helpful | Level 5

Greetings:

I have a basic Dropbox account and I have a set of files stored there.  When I go through Dropbox.com, I can see those files that exist there just fine. On my laptop (MacBookPro), there is a Dropbox folder in my finder and when I click on that, I can see the files there also and they are identical to the Dropbox.com display.

However, on my iMac, I have installed the Dropbox app, but when I click on it, there are no files whatsoever. It shows ZERO files. Not only that, there is no Dropbox folder in Finder.  I have tried removing and re-installing Dropbox on the Mac by going to Applications, right clicking and moving it to Trash. Then I try reinstalling, but still, nothing shows up.

What steps am I missing?

thank you for your help in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Korky K.
Helpful | Level 5

After mostly just trial and error, I was able to see the Dropbox on both computers and then was able to put the shortcut links in the sidebar.  There wasn't much logic to any of it that I could discern.  On the MacBookPro, the actual Dropbox ended up being in a different path than the iMac computer which was in home/library/CloudStorage.  However, the end result was that I was able to relocate my iMac-based ObsidianVault to Dropbox and utilitze it between the two computers effectively.  Thank you all for your assistance!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Korky K. 

On the iMac when you have installed Dropbox if you go to the website at www.dropbox.com/home can you see the files or not?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Korky K.
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Mark and thank you for your help!

On both computers when I go to dropbox.com I can see the files there.  Also, when I click on the "world" icon in the menu bar app it brings up the drobpx.com and I see the files. However, if I double click the dropbox app icon in Applications, it brings up a blank finder screen.  On the menu bar app, if I clidk on the folder icon, it shows nothing online or offlilne.   The dropbox has a folder called Apps, and in that folder is another folder called ObsidianVault as I'm trying to access that from both computers.  On the iMac, I dont see either folder while on the MacBookPro I see everything and the dropbox folder is prsent in the sidebar of finder and in my home directory.  Hope this helps-thank you again!

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Korky K. 

It sounds like the shortcut links arent quite working. You should be using it via the sidebar menu options. 

The 'apps' folder is not really intended to be interacted with as it is used to keep programs that are running things within Dropbox. 

So, you probably need to use Obsidian to move its database to another location. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Korky K.
Helpful | Level 5

After mostly just trial and error, I was able to see the Dropbox on both computers and then was able to put the shortcut links in the sidebar.  There wasn't much logic to any of it that I could discern.  On the MacBookPro, the actual Dropbox ended up being in a different path than the iMac computer which was in home/library/CloudStorage.  However, the end result was that I was able to relocate my iMac-based ObsidianVault to Dropbox and utilitze it between the two computers effectively.  Thank you all for your assistance!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Korky K. Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?