cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Relearn Dropbox basics

Relearn Dropbox basics

norm3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I didn't find a Board that appeared to deal with the basics of using Dropbox so picked this one. If wrong, please let me know where to post. Thank you.

Whenever I started using Dropbox years ago, I'm "sure" I read some of the "how to" help topics. But now I'm beginning to believe I do not have Dropbox set up in the best way nor use it most efficiently.

So, where do I go to learn the basics and how to modify my use of Dropbox?

When I go to Get Started it seems to be directed to those in a company environment. That is not me. I'm just trying to set up my Dropbox and my wife's Dropbox.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @norm3, I'll try to answer your questions, but let me know if you still have other ones!

1. If you want your files/documents to be synced and saved to your Dropbox account, you can continue moving them to your Dropbox folder, so they'll continue to do so.

2. Dropbox backup is a way to back up your desktop files with Dropbox, without having to manually move them into the Dropbox folder. You can read more about the feature here.

3. The "Mac" folder is the folder that contains the backup of your desktop files, which means that you have actually already enabled the Dropbox backup feature.

4. The Dropbox website does keep a copy of older and current versions of your files, in case of a deletion. Depending on your plan, you can have 30 or 180 days of version history, which you can read more about here.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @norm3, thanks for posting on our Community!

Could you clarify what exactly is troubling you or what exactly you'd need help with?

For the basics of Dropbox, you can always check our Help Center. 

In any case, please let me know some additional information and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

norm3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OP back. Thank you for offering to help.

FWIW, I've started through the Dropbox Fundamental modules and that is helping but still have many questions.

Currently, I have a few of what I assume are beginner questions:

1. When I started using Dropbox, I moved all my files/documents into my Dropbox Folder created during installation of the Dropbox app on my Desktop Mac. I continue to follow that approach. Is that the best practice for arranging ones files/folders or should I move them back into OS X created folder Documents?

2. I've seen a reference to Dropbox Backup and its dialog screen giving the user the option to select the folders Documents, Downloads and Desktop as well as others. So is that another way of using Dropbox?

3.. Inside the Dropbox Folder, there is a hidden folder titled "Mac" which contains the folders Documents, Downloads and Desktop. I don't get that at all?

4. Does the Dropbox copy in the cloud of my Dropbox folder contain older files when I delete on purpose, or by mistake, files? And if so, for how long.

Thanks very much in advance for any information on these or the original questions.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @norm3, I'll try to answer your questions, but let me know if you still have other ones!

1. If you want your files/documents to be synced and saved to your Dropbox account, you can continue moving them to your Dropbox folder, so they'll continue to do so.

2. Dropbox backup is a way to back up your desktop files with Dropbox, without having to manually move them into the Dropbox folder. You can read more about the feature here.

3. The "Mac" folder is the folder that contains the backup of your desktop files, which means that you have actually already enabled the Dropbox backup feature.

4. The Dropbox website does keep a copy of older and current versions of your files, in case of a deletion. Depending on your plan, you can have 30 or 180 days of version history, which you can read more about here.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

norm3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OP back again.....

#1 What if I put all my files/documents in Documents folder instead?

#3 I'm pretty sure I have not enabled Dropbox Backup. How do I check? Also that hidden folder also contains the folders "Documents" and "Downloads"

norm3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OP back...

On #3 above.... My mistake. It does look like Dropbox Backup is activated. I'm not sure how or why but I've found that page.

Question.... Are you sure that the hidden folder titled "Mac" in the Dropbox Folder is only created by Dropbox Backup and is not created by installing the Desktop app Dropbox?

Thank you.

Need more support?