cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover unsynced files

Recover unsynced files

cjfisher
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I mistakenly moved a very large folder containing extremely important files from my desktop to my Dropbox. The sync did not complete because my Dropbox is now full. Some of the files are now marked with the green tick, while others have the blue circle. If I move the folder back from Dropbox to my desktop, will I recover all the original files, or only those that had been synced? If the second option, how can I recover all the original files? Hope I was clear. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@cjfisher wrote:

Some of the files are now marked with the green tick, while others have the blue circle. If I move the folder back from Dropbox to my desktop, will I recover all the original files, or only those that had been synced?

The Dropbox folder is just another folder like any other on your computer. The files don't actually move anywhere and still exist on your local drive (unless you use Selective Sync or mark files as Online-only). If you no longer want the files to sync to your account online, move them back out of the Dropbox folder.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@cjfisher wrote:

Some of the files are now marked with the green tick, while others have the blue circle. If I move the folder back from Dropbox to my desktop, will I recover all the original files, or only those that had been synced?

The Dropbox folder is just another folder like any other on your computer. The files don't actually move anywhere and still exist on your local drive (unless you use Selective Sync or mark files as Online-only). If you no longer want the files to sync to your account online, move them back out of the Dropbox folder.

cjfisher
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you so much. I had a moment of absolute panic!

eeblake
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I restore dropbox unsynced files deleted by mistake

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@eeblake wrote:

How do I restore dropbox unsynced files deleted by mistake

If the files didn't sync to Dropbox, then there's no way for Dropbox to restore them as they never received the files. You'll need to use your own backups.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    eeblake New member | Level 2
    cjfisher New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?