cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need help reestablishing desktop sync

Not seeing my backups on other devices, after updating the Backup feature

Roroboo
Helpful | Level 5

Dear All.

I have been using Dropbox for over a decade. It would always sync my desktop in such a way that I was able to access any file from my desktop on any of my other devices, including phones and tablets. I love this feature.

Recently the desktop app asked me if i want to put my desktop in backup which I accidentally said yes to. I instantly regretted it as I lost Desktop sync and now can no longer access my desktop files on other devices. I turned off backup feature and reinstalled Dropbox to no avail. 

Please help! I loved desktop sync and have been using it over a decade. It is the FEATURE i use dropbox for. 

How do I reenable desktop sync? It used to show up as an icon in my Dropbox folder under ‘Mac’

I use a MacBook Pro.

Thank you in advance.

15 Replies 15

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Can you please clarify what you mean when saying you can't access the Dropbox website on your iPad? Are you unable to access the website in general, or just the Backups page?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ravip
Helpful | Level 6

I have this same exact issue. Messed up my entire work flow that I've been using for many years now. Made it simple and easy to use and sync across multiple devices. PLEASE PLEASE @Nancy pass on the feedback there's many of us who are running into this issue and there's no way to revert back. This messed up the way we worked this entire time with Dropbox.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Ravip - thanks for your feedback on this.

We've passed it on internally and please let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Roroboo
Helpful | Level 5

@Nancy So I can access the backups page on my iPad via the URL you sent.

However there is no way to access that backup page via the native Dropbox app on iPhone or iPad or even Mac or PC. So then the only way is using a web browser which is not intuitive. As @Ravip mentioned, it does mess up an established workflow we’ve had for years and even decades and there seems no way to revert back to the traditional Dropbox behavior.

Maybe if Dropbox can access the ‘backups’ natively on the mobile apps that could possibly work but even that is not possible right now (unless we use a web browser)

Rich
Super User II

The old backup feature wasn't really a backup. All it did was move your key folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads) into the Dropbox folder so they could sync. There was no true backup. It was just another folder syncing like any other. The new backup doesn't work that way and is closer to a real backup system.

It's easy enough to replicate the old method. Just move your Desktop (or other) folder into the Dropbox folder using whatever mechanism your operating system has to relocate such folders. For instance, in Windows, if you look at the Properties of the Desktop folder (or any other key folder) you'll see a Location tab. On that tab is a Move button that allows you to move the folder to a new location. Use that feature to move the folder into your Dropbox folder and it will sync just like it used to.

danbett
Helpful | Level 7

Hi Rich

I have exactly the same problem, I clicked on the link and it completely changed my workflow, I now cannot easily share links from my desktop (as it has to upload every time). If I do as you say above will that still ensure that I have full offline access to my files and does this mean that I then have

i) A Backup Folder in one location

ii) My content/files in another location that I can use as before

ii) There are no conflicts between the two...

many thanks 

Dan

Need more support?