cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to save into my subfolders. Why?

Not able to save into my subfolders. Why?

Anne O
New member | Level 2

Not sure this is the right category, however, I am not able to save anything into my 6th subfolder. Is there a limit? 

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Anne O, welcome to our Community! 

I'd need a little bit more info, in order to understand the exact situation here.  

Are you trying to upload content, or achieve something different? And which one of our platforms do you use: mobile app, website, or desktop app? 

Do you get any specific errors while trying all that?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Anne O
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan,

I am using the desktop version, and the error says 'You cant save here. Please choose another location'

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Anne O, what type of file are you trying to save there? 

Can you also send me a screenshot of the error message, please?

If you try to temporarily close the Dropbox application, or pause syncing, then try to save a file in the Dropbox folder again. What happens?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Anne O
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan, I am not the only one in the team having the issue, and its not for all the folders either...this specific one was an email saved as an attachment into the the folder,  the file type is Outlook Message format - Unicode.

I can save it on other folders within drop box, but not into some subfolders.Screenshot 2023-06-20 155314.png

I have attached the screen shot.

Rich
Super User II

@Anne O wrote:

... I can save it on other folders within drop box, but not into some subfolders.

How long is the file name including the full path starting with the drive letter? Windows has a max path limitation of 256 characters (218 for Excel files), and this includes every character from the drive letter to the end of the file extension. For instance, the following has a path length of 91 characters.

C:\Users\Rich\Dropbox\Folder\Subfolder\Subfolder\Subfolder\Subfolder\Subfolder\Filename.ext

If you have folder and filenames that are very long, with many folders nested, your file path could easily exceed the limit that Windows has.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Anne O New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?