cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Files Not Downloaded Locally (Mac)

New Files Not Downloaded Locally (Mac)

Uhnnohn
New member | Level 2

Starting last week when dropbox automatically moved the dropbox location on my mac

I have an IFTTT script that places a file in my dropbox
That file stopped getting downloaded to my local folder - Now it just shows in the folder with cloud & down arrow icon

How do I make those files auto-download locally?

16 Replies 16

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Uhnnohn, thanks for posting to our Community.

Can you please let me know your computer's exact OS and version?

And also, which version of the Dropbox app do you have installed?

You can see that by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

Once I have this info, I'll be able to assist you further.

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DMUK
Explorer | Level 3

I'm getting this same behaviour on OS X Ventura 13.1 with Dropbox 164.3.7907

Select All folders under selective sync and nothing is downloaded my folders all have the download icons next to them, is this a bug from moving the location under /users/USER/library/cloudstorage/dropbox ?

Also this migration didn't delete my old drobox folder under /users/USER/Dropbox - is it safe to just delete that folder?

Quite a lot of bugs and I didn't even opt-in to this beta, somehow I'm enrolled? Presumably because I'm on Ventura or something? Bit risky.

iamFIREcracker
Explorer | Level 3

You can, in theory, make a directory available offline (Right click on Finder, then "Make available offline"); however, that does not seem to work with new files created remotely (note: changes to existing files will on the other hand get sync'd just fine).  If your IFTTT script does _not_ create new files that frequently, then this workaround might be able to help new files frequently; otherwise, we will have to wait to hear back from the community (in the meanwhile, I have opened a support ticket asking the exact same question).

Ciao,

M.

DMUK
Explorer | Level 3
Oh that’s pretty bad.

Also they don’t put this in any of the app info screens when they “upgrade” you so how are you supposed to know any of this?

Not the best move that Dropbox have made!

So even if I make the root folder to Dropbox appear offline it won’t automatically sync new files? Seems like either a massive bug or a massive regression in how a cloud storage app should be working.

Michael_T
New member | Level 2
Hannah did anything come of this? I’m having the same problems.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Michael_T, when you're running the new version of the Dropbox desktop application for Mac OS, files won't be downloaded automatically

You'd need to mark them as available offline, or mark entire folders as available offline, and the files in that folder would download.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MC58
Explorer | Level 3

I updated to Ventura (13.4), downloaded the newest Dropbox version (175.4.5569), and now ALL my files have the cloud with the download arrow pointing down. Somehow, all my files that were both local and in the dropbox cloud are now only in the cloud. I have a large HD, and I wish many (1000s) of my files to be available offline. The ONLY way I can get a file to downlown to my computer, is if I individually open it. I can't, for example, click the download cloud icon on a folder and have Dropbox then download all the files in the folder. This is a real pain. Is there a way I can go back to the earlier version? Really can't believe all the time I have had to put into this. I never, ever would have "upgraded" to the new Dropbox version if I knew this would happen to me.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MC58, are you able to right click the Dropbox folder and choose the option for 'Make available offline' so that they download to your computer?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MC58
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your question. I have to "right click" each file, chose make available online, in order to get my files back on my HD--and often I have to go through this process more than once. Perhaps my Dropbox simply can't keep up. It's a long, painful process--working sometimes, and not at other times.

Right now, my new hassle is with my apple music (formerly known as iTunes). I have purchased 1000s of songs, organized in playlists. Ever since I "upgraded" the dropbox version, I have not been able to open and use the mac music app on my laptop. Usually, when I open it the beachball just spins. Sometimes, it tells me to choose a different library (which I have tried). But sometimes, it works--for a few minutes. When it cuts off, I look at the the music libraries, and for some reason, dropbox's cloud icon appears. I say "appears," because minutes earlier it was not there. I suspect that Dropbox keeps modifying the library, and that is mucking things up. Any suggestions?

My photos are gone on my Mac. I get a statement saying that the photo library is in Dropbox. I assume I just need to wait long time for the photos to be downloaded.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MC58 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?